PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 5400 indoor pictures

Jav_Rod
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and also to digital cameras. I just ordered a Nikon 5400
(because of the price, I really had my mind set on the FZ20) and have been reading some comments about it. Most of the negative comments seem to be with pictures taken indoors. Is there a way to work around this problem? if yes, how? can somebody share some tips?

Thanks in advance!

Javier

speaklightly
02-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Javier-

I have found no real problems with taking indoor photos with my CP 5400. If I need more light I just use a slave flash mounted right next to the CP 5400.

Speaklightly

Jav_Rod
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Thank you Speaklightly for answering my post. I just got my camera yesterday and I have taken some indoor pictures with flash, and they seem to be ok. What I tried to ask in my previous post was about the problem with pictures taken without a flash in poor lighting. How do you work around that?
can you share some tips?

Thanks again!

Javier

Geoff Chandler
02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
The only way around pictures in poor lighting is to push the ISO/ASA up as high as it will go. Try to use a tripod, or something to stand the camera on - and if you do have artificial lighting - set the white balance either to the suitable pre-set or better still use the manual white.
(Sorry - speaklightly - didn't mean to butt in - maybe you will share some tips as well??)
Geoff

speaklightly
02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Javier-

Once more I am going to direct you to my Nikon Coolpix 5400 samples link. There you will find the exact photo taken with and without flash. Naturally the without flash sample is taken with the existing/ambient light available on scene.

If this does not answer your question, then can you elaborate a bit more so I can see the point you are getting to with regard to the great Nikon Coolpix 5400. If anything this digital camera has beeen dicredited/ignored when it is indeed a great digital camera.

Please go to:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/400941

Speaklightly

jewallace
02-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I use my 5400 with a monpod indoors in manual mode with available light or with a slaved flash thats bounced onto a white 4X5 index card mounted on the flash head. These techniques may take a little longer but the results are worth it. After a 1000 plus photos in 2 months I am still impressed by the 5400.

Jav_Rod
02-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you all for your replays! I still welcome some tips on how to use this camera in low lighting situations where flash is not allowed, I guess every situation is different, but that'll give me some ideas to start.
As I said before I don't know anything about photography, but I want to try something different than the automatic settings.
I also have another question regarding this camera (Nikon 5400): There is a
noticeable noise when the camera is turned on, something like... hesitating
motor trying to extend the lens, is this normal? I went to a few stores to try
to find one to compare against, but nobody seems to have it.

Thanks!

Javier

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Javier-

The Nikon 540 has very average boot up times as well as shot to shot times. Certainly, it has never kept me waiting. Like all point and shoot digital cameras it has a maximum ISO of 400 and does not show excessive noise at that setting.

If you would like to see what can be done at ISO 400 please go to this link:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/369133

Speaklightly

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Javier-

The Nikon 540 has very average boot up times as well as shot to shot times. Certainly, it has never kept me waiting. Like all point and shoot digital cameras it has a maximum ISO of 400 and does not show excessive noise at that setting.

If you would like to see what can be done at ISO 400 with no flash, please go to this link:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/369133

Speaklightly

Jav_Rod
02-25-2005, 12:36 PM
speaklightly,

I have visited your pictures' gallery and looked at the pictures that you have taken with the CP5400 and I'm very impressed with the results (But you probably can take good pictures with almost any camera). I hope I can learn how to use this camera to take some decent pictures of my newborn twins.

Thanks again for all your help.

Javier

gary_hendricks
02-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and also to digital cameras. I just ordered a Nikon 5400
(because of the price, I really had my mind set on the FZ20) and have been reading some comments about it. Most of the negative comments seem to be with pictures taken indoors. Is there a way to work around this problem? if yes, how? can somebody share some tips?

Thanks in advance!

Javier

No problems with the Nikon 5400 that I've heard of. It's really comparable to the FZ20.

Roxanne
02-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Congrats on your twins !!

I have the Nikon 8800 . I too am learning ! I had an Olympus C700 before , and it took great photos on Auto . Very little that I needed to do other than point and shoot with great results . My Nikon is a MUCH nicer camera , but for some reason I am not getting the results of my Olympus . I know its just me , and once I figure out what settings are best for what situations I will be happier ;) I too am having problems with indoor photos.

Speaklightly , your pictures are Great ! How different is the 5400 to the 8800 ? and can you give me a rundown of how you took those photos of the singers ? I need a step by step LOL We are going on a cruise soon , and will probably have some situations similar to what you photographed .

Thanks

speaklightly
02-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Roxanne-

The existing light (no flash) album photos over on www.smugmug.com were taken by increasing the ISO to 400 and doing a test shot, where I was checking the facial tones. If the faces are to white-ish then use your exposure compensation to reduce the exposure a bit until you get the facial tones correctly. Likewise, if the facial tones are too dark, you can, using plus exposure compensation add light to your photo, but keep in mind that adding light is also going to slow the shutter speed.

You will be dealing with very low shutter speeds (usually 1/25 or lower depending on the lighting level) so you may want to use a monopod to reduce any camera movement.

I cruise a lot (400+ cruises) and most cruise lines today are prohibiting all still cameras and camcorders from their entertainment theaters. So please check on any restrictions.

Speaklightly

Roxanne
02-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow ! 400 + !!!!!!!! You have me beat by a few :p

We're going on 2 this year ........the first is on the Pride of Aloha ( Hawaii ) and then 2 weeks later on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans ( thats where I live ) Should be fun !

OK...I will try what you suggested . I really need to take a class or read some tutorials bc I'm sorta lost ! But am SO interested in getting it !!!

speaklightly
02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Roxanne-

We are doing workshops on:

03/05/2005 NCL Star- 8 days from LAX- 4 lectures
06/28/2005 Vantage Deluxe World Cruises in Russia - 6 lectures
08/24/2005 NCL Wind 10 days from HNL - 5 lectures
10/29/2005 NCL Spirit 19 days from SFO - 9 lectures

Please come join my husband and myself (I do the lectures) we also have a best selling book, "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy" as well. We are the couple who originated doing digital camera learning workshops on cruise ships.

You have my total guarantee that you will learn more than you can believe and will view your digital camera in an entirely differt way after you attend one of our workshops.

I have been a professional photographer for over 50 years. I began way back in the long forgotten 1950's.

Sarah Joyce

Roxanne
03-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I wish !! LOL

Wow , I didnt know that about you ! Where can I buy your book ? I really need to learn my new camera . I mean , I take good photo's , but I think I could be better once I learn when and what settings to use . Right now , I use auto ALOT . I have the Nikon 8800 , have you used this model before ?