PDA

View Full Version : Digital with good movie capabilities

tmehta
07-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi,
First of all thanks for the wonderful site, i like the reviews as they give out both the positives and negatives of any camera.

I have been searching for a digital camera that can offer a decent movie mode. As I do not want to invest in a digital camera and a movie camera. I feel I would rather have a digital camera then a movie camera. I have narrowed down to Nikon CP3700 as it seems to have the most flaxible movie modes available and also offers unlimited(not time restricted movies).

My questions are:
- I understand that I cannot use the optical zoom during the movie mode, but will the digital zoom work?
- Is there any other camera in roughly the same priceband that offers similar capabilities? :confused:

I have used Nikon CP990 at work and was happy with Nikon, otherwise at home I have a Canon (EOS rebel) film camera.

Your reply will be a lot of help.
Thanks,
Tejpal

Nick
07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Have you considered the Canon Powershot S1 IS (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml)

I've never laid hands on it, but it seems that it has a famed and very respectable movie mode. It does have some quirks/limitations to it, so read into what the review states. However, no digital camera can beat the quality of a cheap miniDV recorder. I know it seems like having two is overkill and expensive, but considering the quality, total recording time, and cost of media ( think of how much you can fit onto one 1GB card, how much that costs, and then how much goes on one miniDV tape, and how much that costs :P You'll see what I mean.

Anyway, good luck choosing!

Rhys
07-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I've handled the S1. It had that horrible feel of plastic about it - as though things could quite well start falling off it.

The battery door looked very poorly made and its hinges were metal pins embedded in protruded lumps of plastic. I can't imagine they would last very long.

It had the feeling of a camera thrown together for the cheap end of the market. Lots of features and built to last oh- about 6 months.

tmehta
07-06-2004, 12:53 AM
I did look at the S1, I must say I loved it on the site reviews, but it was a little above my budget of around 20000 Indian Rupees which is roughly USD 300-325 considering the price differencials of same models. I believe S1 is the only camera where zoom etc work in movie mode. I might rethink on it! One more camera i came across during my search was the Minolta Dimage Z1, it had similar concerns raised in the reviews about being too much plastic.

Also like you rightly suggested memory cost will add to it. I agree a miniDV would be a better choice but i had a Sony TR101 Hi8 camera, (it must be the hot temperatures here) but it used to "chew-up" my tapes from time to time. That day on I have developed this No-No for tape based cameras.

But, thanks for your suggestions - my one question is still unanswered - will the digital zoom work while in the movie mode? :rolleyes:

thanks,
Tejpal