PDA

View Full Version : Advice on camera

alex04
08-13-2004, 09:24 AM
I am looking for a digital camera. And I just needed some advice.

I would like a camera that is 3 megapixels w/ 3x optical zoom. I would like for it to be a compact camera. Something that is easy to use & below $300.

I will not be using this for anything fancy just taking your normal pics that will be treasured for years. I won't be blowing up any of these pics and I do not for poster size.

Please advice!

speaklightly
08-13-2004, 09:59 AM
The Konica Minolta G-500 (5mp 3X optical zoom) has received good reviews. We own the camera and enjoy its compact size (about the size of a package of cigarettes) metal casing, and sharp high quality digital photos. It is selling on the internet for about $US 250.

The HP R707 (also 5mp and 3X optical zoom) has received good reviews. We own this digital camera and enjoy the compact size. However the casing is not quite as sturdy as the G-500 described above. The HP camera delivers very sharp and well exposed digital photos. It is selling on the internet for about $US 300.

The Kodak DX-7440 (4mp with 4X optical zoom has received excellent reviews. See www.steves-digicams.com. It is a bit larger than the G-500 and the HP R707. However it produces excellent digital photos. It is selling on the internet for about $US 275.

I hope these suggestions are useful.

Sarah Joyce

alex04
08-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly. I will look up these cameras that you suggested.

Question, what about the Olympus Stylus 300? I read some good reviews on this website & on Steve's. Is that one to consider too? :confused:

speaklightly
08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
My only objection to the Olympus Stylus 300 is that it does not have an adjustable ISO setting. At least for me, an adjustable ISO setting is essential.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
08-13-2004, 08:38 PM
My only objection to the Olympus Stylus 300 is that it does not have an adjustable ISO setting. At least for me, an adjustable ISO setting is essential.

Sarah Joyce

Then how about the Canon A75? It certainly offers more than the Kodak 7440 and at least as much as the HP R707.

I would advise that you try all of these and otheres that might catch your fancy, at your local camera store. We can only get you started.

alex04
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Sorry, but I am not familiar w/ what an ISO setting is. Can someone explain?

speaklightly
08-15-2004, 07:35 PM
The ISO setting in a digital camera increases the sensitivity of the CCD so that the digital camera is able to take properly exposed digital photos with less light. Just as you can use different films with differnt speeds (sensitivity to light), so too, a digital camera can effectively change its "film speed" (the ISO number is moved to a higher value so that the digital camera is then able, by using the HIGHER ISO number to take properly exposed digital photos with LESS light).

By increasing the ISO number in your digital camera, you are able to take good, properly exposed digital photos with much less light. This is called "available light digital photography" because the digital camera properly records the digital photo using only the available light, and NO FLASH at all.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce

ab3dkewl
08-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Hi ! Can anyone help me by advicing which Camera to buy ? 5 pixels and above.

Any good brand ? Please advice.

Rgd,
Ab3dkewl :cool: