PDA

View Full Version : A painless, successful camera buying experience

Highhat
02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
It's nice to be able to report a painless, successful camera buying experience. Check out DataVision (www.datavis.com) if you are shopping; they carry all the major makers and badges. My search for a Panasonic FZ15K yielded a nicely low price ($379) for an in-stock camera. When I ordered it online, there were no follow-up phone hard sells and no undisclosed upcharges. My shipping (UPS ground) was tolerably low from NYC to Virginia, and the camera arrived, fresh and unopened and complete with all expected accessories three days later. I'm very pleased. For those searching for the more elusive FZ20, black or silver, both appear to be in stock and the price is equally interesting.

Rhys
02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
It's nice to be able to report a painless, successful camera buying experience. Check out DataVision (www.datavis.com) if you are shopping; they carry all the major makers and badges. My search for a Panasonic FZ15K yielded a nicely low price ($379) for an in-stock camera. When I ordered it online, there were no follow-up phone hard sells and no undisclosed upcharges. My shipping (UPS ground) was tolerably low from NYC to Virginia, and the camera arrived, fresh and unopened and complete with all expected accessories three days later. I'm very pleased. For those searching for the more elusive FZ20, black or silver, both appear to be in stock and the price is equally interesting.

DataVis.Com has a lousy rating on reselleratings.

Digideb
02-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I used this site to research my new camera & when it came time to make a purchase, I took heed of the reseller ratings provided by this site. I paid more to go with a highly rated retailer, B & H Photo, & my whole experience was flawless. :)
This is the second posting I've seen by a new member promoting a camera supplier & offering a link on here this morning. At the risk of sounding paranoid, is it possible that this site is becoming so popular that some folks are subtly "spamming" us with company promos? :rolleyes:

Highhat
02-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Bloody hell. I joined this forum so I could relate my experiences as I get into digital, and hopefully benefit from the experiences of others. I actually had a painless, successful buying experience with DataVision. I am not providing spam by offering that information. If the users of this forum are that paranoid I'll look for information exchange elsewhere.

Digideb
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
To Highhat, You may be getting swept up in an unfortunate coincidence. You were the 2nd new member this morning to start off promoting a "questionable" camera reseller. That's unusual for newbies to make that their 1st post.
I must admit your post wasn't blatant like the other & you seemed more sincere. (or clever?) If I misjudged you, I apologize. :o
The best way to show you're not here with an "agenda" is to continue to post comments & questions. ;)

Highhat
02-22-2005, 01:32 PM
To Highhat, You may be getting swept up in an unfortunate coincidence. You were the 2nd new member this morning to start off promoting a "questionable" camera reseller. That's unusual for newbies to make that their 1st post.
I must admit your post wasn't blatant like the other & you seemed more sincere. (or clever?) If I misjudged you, I apologize. :o
The best way to show you're not here with an "agenda" is to continue to post comments & questions. ;)

Let me see if I understand. You want me to continue posting, and you will evaluate my submissions for sincerity. Oh, and I must not be too clever, or I will excite your deep suspicion.
Who are you? And who appointed you gatekeeper for these forums? If we were face-to-face, sir, I would call you out. I will not tolerate bullying.

Digideb
02-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I explained my possible misinterpretation of your post. I'm not going to beg you to accept my apology. Your over-defensiveness & quick decision to leave the site is only confirming my suspicion of your motives.
I'm new to this forum also & I'm not claiming any special status here. By the way, I'm not a "sir" & I was hardly "bullying" you. Life is too short for such nonsense. Lighten up!!! ;)

skagen
03-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Dtavis is not that honest. I bought a camera there 2 months ago - in the store.. I saw the display model, then paid and went to the pick up point in the store.

What came out, a battered old box! Inside was the same beat up display model I had just looked at, complete with finger prints all over! I refused to take it, pointing out that I had paid for a brand new camera, not a used castoff. I complained to the manager and when I threatened to make a fuss and let the customers in the store know EXACTLY what they could expect, they promptly gave me a proper new camera.

If that blatant rip-off attempt could happen to me in-store, I shudder to think what is happening to people who buy on-line,, who can't check the goods or threaten to make a fuss?

I would never in a millon years trust those people again. Even though they run what seems to be nice shiny store, under the covers they are just crooks who will pull one over on you if they can. They are not a proper shop like 17 St Photo or B&H, who are legit honest people with morals.