PDA

View Full Version : Help! This camera has to be able to focus more reliably than this!

David Lewis
02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Greetings,

We've had our 7590 for two months now. It's our first digital camera, and we like almost everything about it...except we're only batting about .500. Half the pictures end up out of focus.

It's really quite frustrating. You'll see a picture you want to take. It looks great on the LCD, but then when you press the button the camera starts having fits, focusing in and out, it takes about a second before its done focusing, and then the final product is out of focus entirely. If it had just taken the picture I asked it to take, we'd all be fine. Am I doing something wrong? It seems to be happening whether I'm in continuous or single AF. I just want to be able to point and shoot with confidence. Maybe I bought too much camera? The bells and whistles are cool, but they're not worth this headache. So can anyone tell me how to use it properly?

Thanks,

David

John_Reed
02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Greetings,

We've had our 7590 for two months now. It's our first digital camera, and we like almost everything about it...except we're only batting about .500. Half the pictures end up out of focus.

It's really quite frustrating. You'll see a picture you want to take. It looks great on the LCD, but then when you press the button the camera starts having fits, focusing in and out, it takes about a second before its done focusing, and then the final product is out of focus entirely. If it had just taken the picture I asked it to take, we'd all be fine. Am I doing something wrong? It seems to be happening whether I'm in continuous or single AF. I just want to be able to point and shoot with confidence. Maybe I bought too much camera? The bells and whistles are cool, but they're not worth this headache. So can anyone tell me how to use it properly?

Thanks,

DavidWhen you say you "press the button," are you doing it in two steps? In other words, you should be "half-pressing" the button to pre-focus your desired scene, and at that point the camera should lock on focus and exposure, so all that's left to do is release the shutter (with a small lag) by completing the push of the button. Are you doing that?

Franknbeans
02-21-2005, 01:52 AM
I had the same problem for a little while with my DX 7590 it has a lot to do with the shutter speed. Sometimes the camera will choose a shutter speed that is very slow and if your had trembles even slightly it will cause the picture to go out of focus. Another issue, is that there has been an improvement on the firmware for the DX 7590. Go to www.kodak.com and look for the update pages, specifically for the 7590. This update will solve many low light focus problems.

hope this helps

-Frank

sgoldste01
02-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Greetings,

It was this very behavior that made me exchange the 7590 I received from my wife for Christmas for another one (I was convinced it must be defective). :mad:

When the second 7590 behaved the same way, I returned it and bought a Panasonic FZ20 instead. Much better focus. :D

Good luck with the firmware upgrade. Kodak was 6 weeks too late with the upgrade to keep me from returning my 7590. Please let us know if the new firmware makes the camera behave the way you want it to. :confused: