PDA

View Full Version : Praise for S1 video

Rhys
08-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I've played around with my S1. The video seems excellent. Try this 5 second clip as an example My video (http://uk.yahoo.com/rhys_sage/). Note: it's 10mb.

My only problems thus far are:

1. An apparent lack of a decent macro mode.

2. Night shots seem impossible.

bka314
08-13-2004, 12:30 AM
I've played around with my S1. The video seems excellent. Try this 5 second clip as an example My video (http://uk.yahoo.com/rhys_sage/). Note: it's 10mb.

My only problems thus far are:

1. An apparent lack of a decent macro mode.

2. Night shots seem impossible.

0. The video mode is excellent - but don't try in low light, you'll be disappointed.

1. Not a Nikon macro, but not sooo bad.

2. I found no problems with night shots - yet... can you explain this in detail?

Kris

Atlantagreg
08-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Your link does not work.

Also, for those unfamilar with the S1, there is another aspect of the movie mode worth pointing out: Quality settings.

As each generation of digicams come out, more are adding a 640x480 movie mode to their features. Many however, do not offer quality settings on the movies such as better/best, fine/superfine, etc. One example of this is the Fuji S7000 - it offers a 640x480 movie mode, but compresses the movies a bit more than the Canon which has two settings at that size (including a "fine" mode). While both cameras can do 640x480 video, the Fuji videos will show visible artifacts around sharp edges, while the Canon videos will be "cleaner".

Another note: Using the Canon movie mode at "fine" will result in approximately 1.9 to 2 megabytes of memory to be used up PER SECOND of recording. So a 128 meg memory card will only get you around 2 minutes of "video" and a few snapshots. In other words, to whoever is considering buying one, if you're planning on using the movie feature a good bit, you will want to invest in large memory cards (512 megs or even 1 gig).

Greg

Rhys
08-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Your link does not work.

Also, for those unfamilar with the S1, there is another aspect of the movie mode worth pointing out: Quality settings.

As each generation of digicams come out, more are adding a 640x480 movie mode to their features. Many however, do not offer quality settings on the movies such as better/best, fine/superfine, etc. One example of this is the Fuji S7000 - it offers a 640x480 movie mode, but compresses the movies a bit more than the Canon which has two settings at that size (including a "fine" mode). While both cameras can do 640x480 video, the Fuji videos will show visible artifacts around sharp edges, while the Canon videos will be "cleaner".

Another note: Using the Canon movie mode at "fine" will result in approximately 1.9 to 2 megabytes of memory to be used up PER SECOND of recording. So a 128 meg memory card will only get you around 2 minutes of "video" and a few snapshots. In other words, to whoever is considering buying one, if you're planning on using the movie feature a good bit, you will want to invest in large memory cards (512 megs or even 1 gig).

Greg

The link does actually work. Yahoo Geocities can be a little bizarre at times. I get mixed reactions - some people can download and others can't. This is probably due to some craziness in Yahoo's server. I downloaded from the site, having accidentally corrupted the original and had no difficulty.

Yes. The videos are massive. 2mb per second approx. And 3 megapixel photos of up to 2.5mb each. That puts Nikon's largest of 1.6mb on the 995 into the over-compressed folder.

A gigabyte is the largest video the S1 will allow you to take and that is approx 8 minutes at fine VGA resolution. I tend to leave it on VGA because my videos are more for myself than for others. Having said that, I can downsize them to CIF, ready for email if I wish.

The problem with nightshots so far is they're all chronically underexposed. That 15 second maximum exposure really needs to be at least a couple of minutes. I can recall doing some very nice 20 minute exposures and some even longer, with 35mm and 120.

buzz
08-26-2004, 05:38 PM
The problem with nightshots so far is they're all chronically underexposed. That 15 second maximum exposure really needs to be at least a couple of minutes. I can recall doing some very nice 20 minute exposures and some even longer, with 35mm and 120.

I have taken some night shots and I am very impressed, I havent needed more than the 15 sec setting yet ...
What did you shoot that required that long of an exposure? I would like to see some of them if you have them online somewhere..

Thanks
buzz

david1957bennett
08-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Rhys, I believe you said you use ScanDisk Ultra 2 ? Do you find this CF to be a good card for video? I see several posts to stay away from Kingston but just wanted to get some insight from those who have more experience than myself. You are the one that recomemded me toward the S1 for its video capabilities and I am finding this camera has a good reputation at about any camera website I visit.

tc17
08-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Rhys, I believe you said you use ScanDisk Ultra 2 ? Do you find this CF to be a good card for video? I see several posts to stay away from Kingston but just wanted to get some insight from those who have more experience than myself. You are the one that recomemded me toward the S1 for its video capabilities and I am finding this camera has a good reputation at about any camera website I visit.
I do currently own the S1, but haven't had it very long to know what I'm talking about. But there is a compatability list someone was making for video with the S1. Although it sounds like the camera is VERY picky about what is used.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9661164