PDA

View Full Version : Securing lens hood

tizeye
05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
While hasn't happend with my Sigma 10-20, other than occasional displacement, The lens hood on both my Nikon 55-200 and relatively new Tamron 17-50 is so loose will drop off as walking around. Also, both the Tamron and Sigma hoods are tulip shape and will turn just slightly giving black edge to 2 corners.

Is there any trick or spray solution that will keep the hoods from moving, yet still allow taking them off. Trying to avoid tape which would look tacky.

BBPhoto
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I have never heard of this with OEM hoods. Are you using aftermarket hoods?

tizeye
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
No, these are OEM

Was really frustrating with the Tamron as was continually falling on the street/sidewalk as walking/biking around Key West. When bought a present for wife, was going to throw it in the bag and not use a hood. It was missing from the camera and nowhere to be seen in the store. Went out to where I locked up my bike, and there it was on the ground next ro the bike.

BBPhoto
05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow. I guess it might be possible that your movements or way of carrying the camera translates to the lens coming off then. You could try cutting a layer of tape (experiment with different thicknesses) and put it on either the lens or hood thread (hood is probably better). That is the only thing I can think of to snug it up.

tizeye
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I hate to say it, but user error.

When other's were not having similar problems, started playing with them. Rather than just taking "tight", gave an extra twist. I gave a click and locked. When they were new and things were tight, never 'learned' that as held. The Sigma after a year and considerable use is still tight, so thought the others lost it early.

Now it makes sense...make it click.