PDA

View Full Version : 5d mark II eye-fi Wireless Tethering with iPad (how to)

adam75south
04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS...ESPECIALLY THE UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Hey guys, I haven't posted much lately, but thought I'd post a quick, little thread that can probably be of use to some of you.

Lately I've been shooting tethered wirelessly to my iPad and it's been absolutely awesome. It makes it quick to check focus, exposure, gives a better perspective for planning composition/shooting for a crop, and best of all, it's a way for clients to see the pictures as you take them instead of looking over your shoulder at the viewfinder.

This doesn't just help 5d mark II shooters either, there are other Compact Flash cameras that also benefit from this. Here's a very specific list of cameras it'll work with: (if your camera isn't listed, then don't waste your money)

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 50D
Canon EOS 7D
Nikon D3X
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350
List is from forum users at this link: http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352

It requires 3 things to make happen:
1. eye-fi card($80-100, I use the x2 pro, but the mobile will work as well)
http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Class-Wireless-Memory-EYE-FI-8PC/dp/B002UT42UI
http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Mobile-Wireless-Memory-EYE-FI-8MD/dp/B004U5QR62

2. sd-cf adapter($15, very specific brands)
(U.S.) http://www.amazon.com/SDHC-High-Speed-Extreme-Adapter-support/dp/B0048W4RV4
(Ger) http://www.amazon.de/Speicherkarten-Adapter-CompactFlash-Eye-Fi-Speicherkarte-High-Speed/dp/B0046EQOM4
(UK) http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-adaptor-SDHC-SDXC-61796/dp/B004AFJZUW
otherwise google delock 61796 and try to find one available in your area

3. shuttersnitch iPad/iPhone app in the app store($15)
http://www.shuttersnitch.com
or use the eye-fi app that's free but not as useful for photographers (according to reviews)

Once you get the eye-fi sd card, plug it in to the computer and go through the setup. Update the software on the computer and on the card(which it walks you through), then run the "eye-fi center" to set it up. Find "direct mode" and check the box that says "when no known wifi networks are in range, start the direct mode network". What this does is turns the eye-fi card into a wireless network. Note the password to the network. Click to start the direct mode network and join it with your iPhone or iPad.
If you have any trouble, go to step II in this link. If you don't know what you're doing, leave all other settings as default. Do not turn on relayed transfers(according to some, this messes up direct mode shooting). I'd recommend changing the wait time to 4 minutes or forever as your camera will control it with the auto-off feature anyway. I'd also change the auto off feature on the camera to about 4-8 minutes.
http://support.eye.fi/mobile-applications/ios-eye-fi-app/

(optional and no longer recommended because I believe this makes the card overheat faster)Once you've set up direct mode, you'll need to remove the metal plate on the front of your sd-cf card adapter, as it weakens the signal. I couldn't find a precision screwdriver, so i used a box knife to pry the metal part up, once you get under it, it's easy to pull the plate off. I took the front at back metal plate off just in case. pictures will be posted below of what it looks like.

Install "shuttersnitch" from the app store.
Open ShutterSnitch go through the initial setup. Then go to the collection overview and tap the "Options" button in the top left-hand corner and pick "Set up Eye-Fi Access". Sign into your Eye-Fi account and make sure that the cards you want to receive from are turned on (the toggle on the right). Press Done!

Insert the eye-fi card + adapter to your camera. Format the card with your camera. Take a shot with the camera so that the card will start the direct mode network. Verify on your iPad or iPhone that it's connected to the eye-fi network. Once connected, start a collection in ShutterSnitch and start shooting. When the card finishes buffering, they will begin to transfer. You'll see in ShutterSnitch "receiving IMG_XXXX.jpg" and they will begin to show up.

I recommend shooting RAW+small JPEG. ShutterSnitch automatically takes jpegs only by default so that the pictures come through fast rather than the 30secs it would take to accept a RAW file.

Expected times for the transfer...I get anywhere from 9sec to 15sec for the first to show up, then one every 2 seconds or so. They don't transfer as the camera is writing them, so if you've shot 9 photos, you'll first have to wait for the buffer to finish, then expect the 9-15 second delay with one showing up every couple of seconds after. The better the wireless signal, the faster they show up, so keep the iPad close to you.

My clients think it's the coolest thing ever. Maybe some of you wouldn't have a use for it. I tend to always have someone there wanting/waiting to see the pics, which can be annoying.

Hope this helps.

-Adam

UPDATE 6-8-11
A few things I've ran into while using this.

1. Sometimes it will stop transferring. Usually I'll just go to networks on the iPad, turn the wireless off and back on and rejoin the card. Sometimes I have to totally turn the camera off and rejoin the card before it'll start back up.

2. Twice now I've gotten an Err 02, card not formatted error. When this happens, turn the camera off(wait for the images to finish writing), pull out the card, put it back in, turn the camera back on and it's back to normal. I believe this happens mostly when you've shot a lot of pictures at once and have filled up the buffer.

3. I've decided this tool is best for reviewing pictures AFTER you're done with a set. It's too slow to try and review pictures as you're taking them(for what I do anyway) and it will slow you down significantly. So now I just open shuttersnitch when I'm done with a small set and am about to move to another and let them transfer.

UPDATE 8-20-11

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! 4. DO NOT USE THE SD CARD + CARD READER TO TRANSFER RAWs to the computer. I'VE LOST WHOLE CARDS on my lexar card reader. If you use a card reader to transfer, make sure you insert the CF adapter with SD card inserted. I've also noticed the card likes to overheat and turn off while transferring. I've since bought a second adapter and have been switching back and forth between the two while transferring the RAWs to the computer.

5. I've noticed that it's common to have one or two damaged raw files when shooting this way. It isn't a big deal because I always have the jpeg as backup and it is usually only 1 out of 300 or so.

Switchblade906
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
That is very cool, they need to add some more cameras to that list. Hopefully the A77 will be able to do that when it comes out

adam75south
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
if it uses an SD card, then more than likely it works. you'd just follow the steps minus the adapter part.

I believe the adapter method will work for any camera that uses a UDMA CF card. I think there are other adapters that will work for other cameras that use regular CF cards, but I don't know.

BBPhoto
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Cool, thanks. Now all I need is an iPad!!

faisal
04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
And I was thinking the only way to do that was the Canon wireless grip. Thank you!!

adam75south
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Yea. I didn't know it was possible at all until I started searching to see if the camera accessory would work with the 5dII and came across a YouTube video of a guy using his 5dII with the eye-fi. Then I spent a few hours researching and bought what I needed. So far it works great. And from what I understand, it's quite a bit faster than the wireless grip since the eye-fi has wireless N and the grip only has G. I do wish they had a 16GB version and really wish they had a CF version. But for now, I'm pretty happy with it.

And the funny thing is...you can buy an iPad, eye-fi card, the app and adapter and still save $270 over what you'd spend on just the wireless grip for the 5d2.

Another awesome feature of shutter snitch is you can let them set star ratings for the pictures. I use it to let them pick the ones they like so I don't waste my time editing all pics later.

faisal
05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I just need to figure out how to get hold of it in Dubai. This is good for me especially for product shoots. Btw it transfer RAW and JPEG or only JPEG??

adam75south
05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
you can have it transfer both if you want. or just RAW. it'll just take longer because of the larger file size. i use it just as a preview during the shoot and upload the raws later.

Nickcanada
05-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Good stuff! can you zoom in and really look at images on the ipad? or is it a simple viewer?

adam75south
05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
you can zoom in. i shoot small jpeg, but it's still a big picture and you can zoom in to(i'm guessing) 1x1 pixel level. i wouldn't use this as a tool to see each picture as you take it though, it's too slow. what i do is shoot one scene, i don't know, maybe 10-15 pictures and then start up the app and let them download as i'm getting ready to move on to the next scene.

arpshots
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
This is really a good article and inspired me to get set up with the eye-fi to use with my Ipad 2 and my 5D mark II. I went and purchased the eye-fi connect x2 and used my exsisting SD to CF adapter ( http://www.amazon.com/SDHC-Compact-Adapter-Professional-Digital/dp/B001DKO7R8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306347758&sr=8-4 ). Unfortunately it did not work. Both my 5D mII and my 7D was not able to read nor format the card. I worked on regular SD cards.

So my questions are... :

1. SD to CF Adapter: Do only certain brand of adapter work? If so, can someone post a link on where I can get a known brand that works?

2. Eye-Fi: In the article, only the x2 Pro and the x2 mobile were mentioned. Does it mean that my x2 Connect will not work?

Footnote:

I tried the Eye-Fi X2 Connect with my G11, IPAD 2 with the Eye-Fi IPAD app..... works like a charm!!!! - but I need it to work with either my 5D MII and 7D for production work.. Can someone help??

K1W1
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I have read in a couple of places that the wireless tethering using a CF-SD adapter does not work. I suspect that you will not be able to resolve this issue.

adam75south
05-26-2011, 07:58 AM
i'm not trying to be rude, but you really need to read the whole post. i stated that it takes a specific adapters and added links to them.

and i use the 5d mark II, iPad 2, and the adapter i linked first. the difference is this adapter works with the UDMA interface these cameras use...the majority of them don't.

i only own the x2 pro, but i would expect the x2 connect to work as well.

2. sd-cf adapter($15, very specific brands)
(U.S.) http://www.amazon.com/SDHC-High-Spee.../dp/B0048W4RV4
(Ger) http://www.amazon.de/Speicherkarten-.../dp/B0046EQOM4
(UK) http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-adapt.../dp/B004AFJZUW
otherwise google delock 61796 and try to find one available in your area

http://adammedders.smugmug.com/Weddings/Michelle-Bridals/i-hH3NG2b/0/XL/IMG0709-XL.jpg

adam75south
05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
I have read in a couple of places that the wireless tethering using a CF-SD adapter does not work. I suspect that you will not be able to resolve this issue.

that's not true. i wouldn't post this just to mess with people. it needs a specific UDMA sd-cf adapter. i posted this because it isn't easy to do and took me days of researching and googling to find all the stuff i needed.

downtrodden
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I love my Ipad2 as a photographer tool. Ceck into the foliobook app so you can carry a digital portfolio to show potential clients. Sketchbook to sketch poses to show models if your direction isn't clear... Sketch and save lighting diagrams... I forget the name of the app right now and the Ipad isn't handy- but it shows where the sun will rise and set, what time and which direction shadows will fall at any given time- layered over a satellite photo of your shooting area. Easyrelease for easy model releases fill in the info, if needed use the iPad camera to take an ID photo and have the client sign the iPad itself- then email the signed release!

I'm sure there's more - but those are the biggies.

adam75south
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
i'm gonna have to get the app with the sunrise and sunset times. that's pretty awesome.

right now, i use Portfolio for iPad for my portfolio and an app called photographers contract maker for my contracts. freakin love it. i have my wedding contracts and copyright releases on there and let my clients sign. i even bought a stylus for them to sign with.

downtrodden
06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Sun Seeker is the name of the app.

There are a couple apps I want to try out- foliobook is pretty cool but i wonder if there is something better out there. What are your Pros and Cons of Portfolio for iPad?

Any other apps you really like, photography related or otherwise?

Haha- I so hi-jacked your thread!

adam75south
06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Sun Seeker is the name of the app.

There are a couple apps I want to try out- foliobook is pretty cool but i wonder if there is something better out there. What are your Pros and Cons of Portfolio for iPad?

Any other apps you really like, photography related or otherwise?

Haha- I so hi-jacked your thread!
hijack away. this place needs all the action it can get.

the portfolio app is pretty good. i like the way you add two default images for both landscape viewing as well as portrait depending on which way the client picks it up. i also like the gradient background behind the pictures as they're viewing them. you can add pictures through dropbox or from your camera roll. it plays videos, i put my slideshows in there. you can export the library and put it to other ipads. it's pretty cool.

right now, my favorite app for the iPad is flipboard. i kinda use it as a reader app for blogs, news, and stuff i keep up with. it's free, so just try it out. it turns blogs into magazines. also has a pretty cool facebook integration and a flickr viewer. i use it to read redmondpie.com daily. i'll flip through different news sites. it even has instagram integration if you use instagram.

i pretty much just use it to read eBooks, as a newspaper, and a portfolio. i really like it as a reader...and i own a kindle. i'll read the kindle outdoors, but prefer the iPad about 90% of the time.

Csae
06-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the write-up adam, if you ever want LV and have a laptop around as well as the ipad, try SplashTop.

I've been using it, with the 5d2 hooked up to the laptop to get Remote Live View by taking the iPad with me.

Though, the colors seem off, and the refresh rate isn't that great, its still great for those times where you need Live View but can't stay near the camera.

adam75south
06-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the write-up adam, if you ever want LV and have a laptop around as well as the ipad, try SplashTop.

I've been using it, with the 5d2 hooked up to the laptop to get Remote Live View by taking the iPad with me.

Though, the colors seem off, and the refresh rate isn't that great, its still great for those times where you need Live View but can't stay near the camera.
i'll have to check it out. i'm a techie, so i really enjoy stuff like this. not sure i need live view much for what i do, but you never know.

adam75south
06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
A few things I've ran into while using this.

1. Sometimes it will stop transferring. Usually I'll just go to networks on the iPad, turn the wireless off and back on and rejoin the card. Sometimes I have to totally turn the camera off and on and rejoin the card before it'll start transferring again.

2. Twice now I've gotten an Err 02, card not formatted error. When this happens, turn the camera off(wait for the images to finish writing), pull out the card, put it back in, turn the camera back on and it's back to normal. I believe this happens mostly when you've shot a lot of pictures at once and have filled up the buffer.

3. I've decided this tool is best for reviewing pictures AFTER you're done with a set. It's too slow to try and review pictures as you're taking them(for what I do anyway) and it will slow you down significantly. So now I just open shuttersnitch when I'm done with a small set and am about to move to another and let them transfer.

Sparkyish
06-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Had to sign up just to say thanks! :)

adam75south
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
glad you signed up and glad i could help.

Larry38
07-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Adam, great info, and many thanks. A couple of questions:

1) Others have said that they needed to "jailbreak" their iPad in order to get it to talk to the Eye-Fi card without a router present (so-called ad-hoc networking). Is it possible for someone to use the Eye-Fi card without jailbreaking the iPad and without having a router present (in other words, using only an ad-hoc network)? Since you referenced direct-mode and didn't reference MyFi or jailbreaking, I think I understand, but wish to be certain. (They were using MyFi to establish connection to the EyeFi from the iPad.)

2) Is there any reason to believe the steps you outlined would not work with an original iPad, rather than the iPad 2?

Many thanks for sharing your hard-earned knowledge. Very generous of you.

Larry

adam75south
08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
sorry for the late reply larry. i'm sure you figured it out by now, but
1. jailbreaking has nothing to do with what goes on with the eye-fi card. i do jailbreak my ipad, but i had this working well before the new ipad 2 jailbreak was released.
and
2. it also works on the original. i started out using the original while i was waiting for my 2 to come in.

faisal
08-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Is this :
http://www.amazon.com/SDHC-High-Speed-Extreme-Adapter-support/dp/B0048W4RV4

The same as this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html

I know it looks the same but just want to make sure. Also are you sure it will work (links to working setup would be awesome). Want to use it with a 5D MKII and 7D with a Eye Fi Pro X2...

adam75south
09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
i couldn't tell you. the link i added is the one i bought. it does look the same though.

as far as being sure. i use it all the time. the picture of the bride looking at her own picture is real. i took it.

here's another one i shot of a couple reviewing their engagement photos
http://adammedders.smugmug.com/Weddings/David-Haivan-Engagements/i-TKR6JRk/0/XL/IMG2961-XL.jpg

faisal
09-03-2011, 12:55 AM
I thought you were using a different adaptor that's why I was asking if you were sure it worked. Thanks.

adam75south
09-06-2011, 11:14 AM
i'm using the one i linked
this one. i know it works for sure.

faisal
09-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Got the Eye-Fi Pro X2 with the DigiGear Extreme SD-HC-XC to CF Adapter and it works like a charm in 'Direct mode' or WiFi mode with my iPad 2 but only with the 5D MKII. It gives me Error 02 with my 7D whenever any kind of transfer is made i.e. to PC or ipad - WiFi or direct. So basically I can only use it when I borrow my friends 5D MKII. I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't work with the 7D but seems like I'm not the only with with the same problem and no one has a solution for it yet. Will update if I find a solution.... -_-

UPDATE
The Eye-Fi with the CF adaptor does not like the heat i.e. 40'C+ working temperature. Stops fuctioning properly if it heats up throwing Error 02 even on the 5D MKII. Works fine on the 7D if I don't take too many pivtures in one go and if I'm shooting low res JPEG.

adam75south
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
yea, it happens a couple of times each shoot. i just turn the camera off, take the card out, put it back in...and it's good to go.

adam75south
10-26-2011, 03:43 PM
have you still been using it faisal? i upgraded the firmware and now i'm getting those damn Error 02's every few pictures. it's driving me crazy. i bought another adapter hoping it's just the adapter, but i have a feeling it had to do with the firmware update. this sucks. i wish they'd just make an eff'ing CF card. double or triple the price, i'll still buy it.

faisal
10-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Haven't updated the firmware has I don't connect it to the pc at all. Transfer via Canon powershot camera that uses SD. I think I'll skip the update....

adam75south
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
well i bought another sd-cf adapter. same one from the link. turns out, the original adapter was the problem. went through a whole engagement shoot yesterday with only one Error 02.

I decided not to take the metal plate off the adapter this time. Works fine the way I use it. I keep the iPad right next to my camera while they're transferring.

faisal
11-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Ohk. What does the new firmware bring to the table??

I've been going through shoots with minimal Error 02 as well. It's performs good enough in most situations. Still doesn't work with the 7D though when shooting RAW or large JPEG... :(

adam75south
11-01-2011, 09:09 AM
i don't know. i just plugged it in and it had an update, so i did it.

faisal
11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
LOL...I'll check their website. :)

EDIT: FYI http://support.eye.fi/support-resources/downloads/release-notes/eye-fi-card-firmware-release-notes/

adam75south
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
faisal. i recommend getting a second adapter that you can swap back and forth between when one overheats. I've been doing that and have had good results both while shooting and while transferring to the computer.

faisal
11-15-2011, 06:19 AM
I'll have to get another adaptor shipped from the US which won't happen anytime soon... :(

Btw I haven't had any issues transferring via the eye-fi SD card reader....no corrupt files so I don't use the adaptor while transfering...

adam75south
11-22-2011, 07:18 AM
I'll have to get another adaptor shipped from the US which won't happen anytime soon... :(

Btw I haven't had any issues transferring via the eye-fi SD card reader....no corrupt files so I don't use the adaptor while transfering...
weird. it happens with both of my eye-fi adapters and my sandisk card reader. maybe it's a 5dII thing. either way, things are working well for now. i don't see myself updating firmware ever again!

i'd ship one to you if you needed.

faisal
11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
weird. it happens with both of my eye-fi adapters and my sandisk card reader. maybe it's a 5dII thing. either way, things are working well for now. i don't see myself updating firmware ever again!

i'd ship one to you if you needed.

I'm using a 5D MKII as well so dunno. The current adaptor is working fine 99% of the time so I'll stick with it though I'll take your offer up once the current one starts failing on me. :)

Philly
11-23-2011, 01:45 AM
My friend has a 5D MKii and when he inserts the Eye-fi with synchrotech CFmulti adapter, the camera says: Cannot format the memory card, and it doesnt want to take photos at all. The eye-fi card works fine in all other cameras.

any ideas on how to get this working??

Thanks!!!!

faisal
11-23-2011, 03:14 AM
The Synchrotech website says that the CFMulti CompactFlash Type II Adaptor doesn't work with Eye-Fi X2 generation cards so maybe that's the problem.

Link here : http://www.synchrotech.com/products/media-adapters-compactflash_eye-fi_sdhc_mmc-01.html

adam75south
11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
My friend has a 5D MKii and when he inserts the Eye-fi with synchrotech CFmulti adapter, the camera says: Cannot format the memory card, and it doesnt want to take photos at all. The eye-fi card works fine in all other cameras.

any ideas on how to get this working??

Thanks!!!!
i linked the specific adapter you'll need to get in the original post. i wouldn't buy any other.

adam75south
11-23-2011, 07:51 AM
faisal, i use a mac, maybe it's a mac vs pc problem.

Philly
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
It's the eye-fi pro 8GB card???

adam75south
11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
yea, the x2 pro with a 5d mark II

but the adapter i use is different than what you use.
here's the one i use. i keep two of them and swap back and forth between them as they get hot.

Cory Varcoe
10-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm having major error 02 messages and I think it's my adapter but then I read this thread and followed the links you gave Adam and now I'm confused as my adapter, to my un trained eye is a newer version of the one you use. Mine is the SDXC version not the SDHC one.
Here is the link to the I'm using. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=518782439

The issue I have is I format the wifi to fat32 via computer then stick it in the 5d mkII and fire off a few shots and life is good but if the camera goes to sleep or even just in use the camera throws the error and won't go away till the wifi card is reformatted via computer.

I have read that the adapter needs to be a UDMA type like this one
http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_61796/merkmale.html

I appreciate any advice you could give me! Cheers!

adam75south
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
i was having issues with my adapter at one point. i bought more and i was good to go. i know that they can overheat sometimes and give you errors. now i have two of them and i swap back and forth between them during shoots.

yes i believe that's correct. the UDMA is what you need. and i believe delock is what a lot of people use.

sorry for the late reply. i'm sure you've figured it out by now.

Jonny
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info I have a 5D 2 that I use the adapter for it is working perfect so far on direct mode to IPhone & IPad I will put it to a full test very soon and update. when I have time a video.

Thanks Again
http://www.joncurrierphotography.com/

shellyrae
09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Are there any updates to this original thread?

Pat Pope
11-30-2013, 02:33 AM
I have all the elements bought and ready to do this....but in other articles it talks about 'jailbreaking' the ipad? Yet there is no mention here?