PDA

View Full Version : Warm Up Pics Taken With Flash

suttonsoxfan
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi, new here. Very very novice photographer. Just bought my first SLR this week. My camera has a built in flash. When I take pictures indoors using that flash, they come out very bright, white washed and stale looking. Looks like warehouse industrial lighting, awful. I'm still using auto features as I haven't figured out all of manual features yet. Is that why the pics look the way they do? Or is it the flash? Or is there some kind of lens filter that will warm up the pics maybe? Sorry if these are stupid questions. Just trying to learn as quickly as I can. Thanks for any guidance.

Anthony
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
What camera ?
An example image would help.
You can probably adjust the flash power but not knowing what camera you have nobody can help.

kgosden
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Also, what software tools do you have? You might just be able to add a warming filter via software.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Check the camera is on some form of auto metering such as aperture or Auto (often P) and not manual mode (M).

suttonsoxfan
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you all for replying. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. The camera came with software but I haven't played with it yet. I will try that. Again, this is my first SLR. I really appreciate the guidance.

TheWengler
04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
It sounds like you're over exposing the image. Start by turning the flash power down. You might be too close to your subject too. The first thing you should learn is how exposure works. Then learn how a flash fits into that exposure. This is the only way to get the most out of your purchase.

Personally I would avoid using the pop up flash all together. To me, it just turns a nice camera back into a point and shoot. If you like using a flash then an external flash that you can bounce will be significantly better.