PDA

View Full Version : Movies? Not!

Razr
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
You think you can do "Movies" as you know and see them: so I, like millions of others- rushed to buy an SLR capable of utilizing the new HD movie feature. Yeah...right!
My new EOS T2i SLR is a whiz-bang camera alright: an easy task for me I thought, me capturing and presenting movies with my Plethora of "L" lenses.
Yeah...right!

My "movies" look like...the same jerky-smudgy crud I shoot with my equally adept Canon camcorder.
Worse, I've known for years camcorder lenses SUCK: moving on, thinking I could make my "L" lenses work like those $62,000 director's Cinemascope lenses, I struggled valiantly but steadfastly turning out inconsistently shot visual crud.

OK: I decided to switch to my 28-135 IS jewel of a lens, thinking that by doing so I could improve on my movie output: the IS helped but crap is crap, my pitifully-poor: OK-sorrowfully bad movie shooting technique being what it is.
I’ll reduce my efforts at movie making, using the public library as a teacher of proper movie techniques.

Lighting movies means I need to learn a totally new lighting technique and regime and moreover, a more disciplined approach.
“Movie making” means you (as “Artist”-Producer-Director-script and dialog technician-at once) must make your entire set MOVE-whenever you move.

While we as “photographers” are totally accustomed to lighting our subjects while they are “nailed” down in one place for us, moving and shooting is another trick bag you (I) must learn and remember when lighting movies.
EVERYTHING becomes a PITA with movies: your breath, as you heave while walking, the sound of breath rasping in the mikes-wiping out the actor’s words, your sloughing feet thudding ponderously; all your gear clanking and banging on your body as you walk alongside the actor and so forth.
Another thing you quickly learn is: without a monopod attached-SLRs make lousy “movie” cameras, to include every DSLR camera Canon and others manufactured.
Lastly, you are quickly forced to come to the conclusion “Movie making” sux-big time, at least when you do not know the technique or for very small crews of one; yourself.

Those with movie making skills and those who might know where to go on the NET: your help would be greatly appreciated with this spastic's movie making delimma

K1W1
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
The very reasons why I would never pay extra for or seek out a DSLR with movie capabilities. If they are there on my next camera they will never be used.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-14-2011, 03:30 AM
The first trick is not to pan (move the camera) ever. Unless you know what you're doing it will suck.

Shoot short segments then move camera angle etc then start shooting again.

Editing it all together is then everything.

My local library had a great book, can't find the name though.

tim11
04-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Movie VS Stills. They are different animals.
I still haven't tested my D90 movie capability... and don't think I will.
I do a lot of movies but always with a dedicated camcorder. Ergonomically the shape is wrong to start with. You can't zoom a DSLR without shaking the camera and for continuous movie footage that means a segment that needs to be cut off.
I heard there are some who can do professional videos with DSLR. Good for them. DSLRs are cheaper than professional vid camera but it much, much clumsy.