PDA

View Full Version : What is the best photo scanning service?

bascom
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I have about 1,000 photo prints I would like to have digitized. Is there a good web site for this service? I did some browsing and this one will scan 1,000 for $79.50 plus shipping cost. Are they the best?

http://www.scanmyphotos.com/faqscanning.html#complete

tim11
03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Make sure they don't come back suitable only for postcard size prints.

Dread Pirate Roberts
03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
If all you've got to loose is $80 then give it a try.

In my city, this service would be about $400, for which you'd expect decent quality.

Note if your photos are 6x4" prints then a cheap scanner for roughly $50 will do the trick probably as well as that company. It would take you about 2 days and a bit of learning.

K1W1
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
So you are going to pit your 1000 photos that you have no copies of into an envelope (or box) in Wisconsin and send them to an unknown company in California to be scanned and sent back along with a disc.

Big risk.

I wouldn't if they were mine if they were at all important. I'd either find somebody local where I could physically take the photos and collect them again or I would buy a scanner and do it myself. At 8 cents per scan there is no human intervention in the advertised process. They will be just dumping the prints into an automatic feed scanner and collecting them at the other end.

JerichoW11
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone! I am a new member on this site. I am here to meet new people and make friends. Hope I can meet someone here. And I'm willing to share any ideas of any kind of topic.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you K1W1, and that is why I run my scanning business at SIGNIFICANTLY over 8 cents per scan and have no problems finding all the clients I want. Doing the job PROPERLY is VERY labour intensive.