PDA

View Full Version : Stylus Verve S not as stylish?

ProblemSolver
02-18-2005, 02:01 AM
From what I've read, the Stylus Verve S comes only in black. I thought Olympus' idea of style was to have multiple colors. And besides, 5 MP cameras don't deserve black (Unless there are colors to choose from) because only high MP cameras deserve the classy look of being (or at least looking like) a pro.

Digideb
02-18-2005, 09:31 AM
I feel that I'm a newbie in the digicam world although I've had over 40 yrs. experience casually taking snapshots. I've seen quite a few cameras, including many fancy ones my "nerdy" shutterbug uncle had yrs. ago.
This fascination with "stylish" cameras in colors seems quite silly to me, including the whole black vs. silver "fashion statement". Don't get me wrong, I'm into classic cars, tattoos & cool stuff that other people think is silly,also.
But, cameras always seemed like kinda expensive, serious little "toys" with metal parts, lens & were usually black & silver. The small black plastic ones (Instamatics) were for casual snap shots & when cameras came out in colors, they were for kids! Cameras in colors still look like cheap toys to me. :rolleyes:
For me, when digicams became more popular,the most recognizable ones were the sm. silver ones. Now that I'm more aware of digicams & have my 2nd one, I know that the expensive ones (SLRs) are usually black with many variations in between.
My new, little Oly C-60 is silver & it has 6MPs, (for those that like to brag about that) & I think it's beautiful!!! :D
I've been wondering if other casual observers have the same impression about these "styles" of cameras? On the practical side, it would certainly have to be the last thing to look for when buying a camera, right? ;)

gb_in_ga
02-18-2005, 09:13 PM
DigiDeb:

About deviating from the silver/black colors of "serious" cameras, I agree with you to a certain point, and yet I also recognize that there are exceptions to every rule. Personally, I could never take a camera that was, let's say, magenta, seriously; no matter what the underlying quality. It would always look to me to be a kiddy toy or something that is marketed more for being "stylish" over having substance. I'll go the substance route every time. And yet, I can think of a couple of exceptions to that rule right off hand. And, oddly, both of those exceptions happen to be Olympus cameras. I recall seeing a long time ago this one compact Olympus 35mm camera that was finished in a burgundy leather that was just elegant. You could just tell that it was certainly not cheap junk. I never had one, and couldn't tell you about the actual quality, but it just looked like a quality piece of gear. And then there is the Olympus Stylus 75 APS that I bought for my wife back when APS still appeared to be a viable technology. It has a copper colored finish, and was quite well made. And it still is, she still has it, still uses it, and still likes it a lot. Being weatherproof, it came in real handy when we were at Niagara Falls a few years ago.

I guess that for the most part, I've started looking past the color issue entirely. Well, except that I still am not going to buy a hot pink camera no matter how good it is. I've been looking more at functionality over superficial details like black vs silver vs some other "reasonable" color.

Oddly enough, I've been looking over the Olympus Stylus digital models for a weather resisitant outdoors type of camera that I would not feel too bad about taking fishing. I've already decided that I don't really care that much for the Verve line, as I sorta feel that they aren't really being marketed to my market segment (my impression is that they are aiming at the young, hip, beach/pool crowd, I'm a middle aged outdoorsman), but the other Olympus Stylus digitals just might do the trick. One big negative about the Stylus Verve is the relatively small optical zoom range, there'll be times I'll be wanting to take wildlife shots and I feel that the 2X optical zoom is way to little. The other Stylus models at least have 3X optical zoom. I'd prefer better zoom than that, but that's the best that Oly has for now. I know that they are capable of making better zoom weatherproof digital cameras, as they have done better than this with some of their film models, and kept the cost down.

nellybly
02-19-2005, 10:11 AM
From what I've read, the Stylus Verve S comes only in black. I thought Olympus' idea of style was to have multiple colors.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021711oly_stylusverves.asp

Scroll down, it also comes in Blue, Champagne Gold, and Pink, LOL!
NB

Rhys
02-19-2005, 11:11 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021711oly_stylusverves.asp

Scroll down, it also comes in Blue, Champagne Gold, and Pink, LOL!
NB

Yup. Designed to appeal to the girlie market.

Digideb
02-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I enjoyed the responses from gb in ga, nellybly & Rhys on this subject. It may be different from what many expect to discuss here, but I find "side issues" such as this to be quite interesting & fun. :)