PDA

View Full Version : Image comparison software

Phill D
01-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Anyone know of any software that can be used to view images side by side for comparison purposes. I often have real trouble settling on a shot to post/print and it gets quite teadious flipping back and forward between shots.

Dread Pirate Roberts
01-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Lightroom is perfect (made for) for this task, trial it.

Anthony
01-09-2011, 03:22 AM
In Vista or 7 open two photos seperatly and then:

In Windows Vista and Windows XP, itís easy to display any two (or more) windows side by side on the desktop, all equally sized. Press and hold the Ctrl key and click two or more of the window buttons on the taskbar that you want to open. Release the Ctrl key, right-click, and then do one of the following:

Windows Vista users, click Show Windows Side by Side.

Phill D
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Ah ha free side by side in windows brilliant that's the sort of tip I like. It will be very useful in lots of instances. Unfortunately if I do it in XP I'm limited to the size I can get and there's no zoom comparison so not a complete solution. I've downloaded the free trial of Lightroom DPR so all I need now is time to play. Thanks for the answers guys.

Anthony
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
For the price of lightroom you could nearly afford a new computer with Widows 7 and the tip I gave you would work OK :p

Or you could use your free DPP software that came with your camera to do the same thing :D

Phill D
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Anthony I wasn't considering buying Lightroom - it's way too expensive for me, just though I'd have a trial. To be honest I hadn't thought to try the camera software. I suspect DPP is Canon, I got Olympus Master with mine. Worth a go though when my free Lightroom trial runs out.

Anthony
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry Phil my post was a bit of a Joke.

Yes the DPP software is Canon and I did not think about using it until I read your post about not being able to use the Windows tip fully in XP.
With the Canon software you just open two images and one is under the other; drag to resize the windows so you can see both then the tools work with whichever window is "in focus".

I do not tend to use the DPP software myself and do most things with Gimp - I suppose I should use it.

Phill D
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
No problem Anthony I might even try Gimp myself too.

speaklightly
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I just sit the photos side by side in PowerPoint. That works fine for me and it is free.

Sarah Joyce

Phill D
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Sarah I was doing it in powerpoint too but I was having to size them differently to get the images the same dimensions on the screen. I then wondered if powerpoint was altering anything in some way so that the differences I saw in the comparisons were not purely camera related anymore. All in all it just seemed like I didn't know enough about what I was doing to be sure the comparisons were valid & comparing different camera images farely was becoming more difficult than I'd imagined.

K1W1
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Lightroom is perfect (made for) for this task, trial it.

Can it?
Lightroom can display the two versions of the same shot with before and after modifications but I wasn't aware you could compare two different photos.

Dread Pirate Roberts
02-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Yep, don't ask me to remember how but that was the very 1st thing it did for me when I turned it on.

I'm still useless at lightroom though.

Phill D
02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I tried it for free as you suggested but it's just too complex for me. I'm sure if I took the time to do the tutorials it would be fine but don't have time & it's too expensive anyway.

danwiz
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
You can compare 2 or more images side by side with ACDSee (acdsee.com) and Pan Lock and then zoom and it is very cool and useful. You can also download a free trial of their acdsee product. If you've never tried this photo management software you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. I've been a user of it since 1998.