PDA

View Full Version : Question for Kodak owners...

Chris262
02-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Hello everybody. It's my first post here, so please go easy on me! I would consider myself a novice at the photography game. I'm a college student that relishes any chance to get out and take pictures... doesn't matter the subject, I'll photograph anything. For the past few years I've been using my Kodak 35mm KE115, and it has been a fun little camera to use. However, I have enough money to move on into the digital world, but would like a few suggestions.

I've narrowed my choices down to the DX7590, or the new Z740. Both appear to be good cameras, but the spec sheet for the new Z740 seems to show that it will have even more features than the DX7590. Also, the Z740 when it ships will come with the new series 3 printer dock. I do not have a photo printer for my PC at this time, so that is an attractive deal for me.

My question really has two parts; should I go ahead and buy the DX7590 now, or wait for the Z740 (which is supposed to ship sometime this month)? Also, is the printer dock an accessory worth having, or would it be more cost effective to buy a good photo printer for my PC?

Sorry for the length, but I need some help. Any good info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

speaklightly
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Chris-

There is no doubt at all that the Kodak DX-7590 is the better choice. It has better focusing and a better lens. This is a no brainer. Please do NOT be sucked in by Kodak's hype on the new digital cameras.

Speaklightly
A Professional Digital Camera Workshop Lecturer

Franknbeans
02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Chris-

I am found myself in nearly the same boat as you. I too am a college student that just likes to take pictures. I have only been working with the dx7590 so thats the only one I can really give advise on. My picture taking skill has drastically improved with the DX7590 simply because it gives me the freedom to use its functions without ruining pictures. It has both the point and shoot ability and the ability to make specialized adjustments to nearly any situation. I have had a blast with this camera, and am learning more every day. Plus, it has a fantastic lens and focusing system that has become even better since the most recent firmware update.

hope this helped.

-Frank

Cold Snail
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
I have a full sized shot taken from a Z740 here and I have been reliably informed the jpeg compession is fixed on standard. (Like a DX6490)
I would personally get a DX7590, but if you aren't that critical of big prints (Over 12x8), pick up a lightly used DX6490.

Chris262
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks everybody for your replies. I decided to go ahead and purchase a DX7590 today. Maybe in a few days I'll be able to post a few pics on here for all to see.

Again, thanks guys!

Chris

Conan
02-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I hope you were able to take advantage of the $50 rebate on the 7590. College student or not...take advantage of the offer.

TheObiJuan
02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
another college student here that had the DX6490. I loved the lens, and right now am really missing it! I am only limitited to a 3x zoom now. :mad:

I liked the camera's bright and big LCD, low light focusing, and great manual controls.
The 7590 is a good upgrade and I would recomend it over your other option. the DX series were well built. I took mine on 4 archaeological digs, I even got sand inside the camera and lens, and still it worked fine. (BEST BUY exchanged it later though). I droped the camera many times too, but not one crack or break. :)

The new kodak's look crappy and just like some cheap plastic.
Either way good luck.

Oh yeah, the printer docks are wortheless.
In a few weeks you will want to upgrade to bigger prints or different sizes. And the inks and papers used will not last long at all.

Chris262
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
TheObiJuan-

You make a good point about the looks of the new Z line of Kodaks. I know that it's what's inside the camera that is important, but the DX line sure looks more expensive and well-built. After going back and comparing a few pictures, that was one of the factors that eventually led to me getting the DX7590. I also decided to forget about the printer dock, and purchased a Canon iP4000. It may not be the best photo printer money can buy, but it's doing a darn good job for me so far.

Conan-

I went to the website and found the info about the $50 rebate. I'm happy to say that I am eligible for it :). I'm going to get that info sent off today, as a matter of fact.

Thanks again everybody, for all the comments and suggestions...

Chris

sesanbell
03-09-2005, 12:42 AM
i just got the Z740 5mp its a great camera but it is a lil to slow for me