PDA

View Full Version : Stumped...burst shots are blurry?

mrrichardson
09-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I just recently got a Sony DSC-HX1. It takes up to 10 burst shots at 2/5/10 fps.

I want to shoot horses and riders in motion. However, my burst shots of anything moving are blurry. Is this common? This is my first real camera so I'm completely stumped. I've read the manual but it's basic. It has no advice.

Any ideas? Where to look?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry if this should go in the Sony forum. I wasn't sure.

David Metsky
09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
The problem probably isn't burst mode, but that you're trying to take shots with a shutter speed that is too long. Are you shooting indoors or in fairly low light? If so, you'll need to push the ISO up higher so that shorter shutter speeds will still gather enough light. A running horse is going to require shutter speeds of 1/200th of a second or faster.

Can you post an image that is blurry and/or look at the EXIF data to see what shutter speed and ISO was used? I'm not familiar with this camera so I don't know if some settings are unavailable in burst mode.

-dave-

mrrichardson
09-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Dave,

Thanks for some direction.

My last point & shoot is nearing 5 years old and was super basic. My friend has a Canon SI20X, I think, and I found that way too confusing. The Best Buy sales person recommended this one, but I still don't know how to use it.

I will play with the settings. It was getting to be dusk last night, but the pictures don't look dark. I will search to see if I can up the shutter speed and the ISO. I don't know what ISO is, but I'm going to look it up.

Don't be surprised if I'm back here again soon. :D

SpecialK
09-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I found that way too confusing... The Best Buy sales person recommended this one, but I still don't know how to use it.

I don't know what ISO is, but I'm going to look it up.

You should google ISO, shutter speed and aperture to at least get some idea of the very basics. Even a lousy manual should have something on it :-)

David Metsky
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
ISO is basically the camera's sensitivity to light. The higher the number the less light you need to take a clear shot. The penalty is that the higher the ISO the "noisier" the photo is, meaning it looks muddled or grainy. But if you need to freeze the action, this is the easiest way.

Many cameras (and I don't know yours at all) restrict you from changing the ISO setting in the automatic modes. The camera decides what to do. You may try a Sports or Kids/Pets scene mode which will force the camera to try and use a faster shutter speed. The camera will have to push the ISO higher to achieve that meaning you won't have to play with the settings yourself.

mrrichardson
09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Upping the shutter speed, having adequate daylight and/or using a different camera mode made the burst shots come out perfect!

K1W1
09-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Make sure that the camera is in continuous focus mode (or whatever Sony call it). If you are in single focus mode with a moving object the first photo will come out in focus and the rest will appear blurry because they will be out of focus.