PDA

View Full Version : Retiring slow D550Zoom, now what?

4explore
02-16-2005, 07:23 AM
:confused: We have given our old D550 zoom to our daughter and now want a 3mp minimum and 10x zoom. We are headed to Costa Rica in June, need to take sport shots of kids (useless on the older Olympus) and occasional b-days and holidays, school gym stuff.

I hated the lag on the old camera, but I'm usually just a point and shoot type, so maybe I fouled up the settings for action shots. Also not thrilled with the old photo software from Olympus. So I'm skittish to consider the another Olympus but like the new ultra zooms stabilizer. I want a quick response camera!

Need advice Please! Should I steer away from another Olympus like my instinct says?
B

gb_in_ga
02-16-2005, 08:17 AM
B:

Well, I've got an Olympus C-755 UZ (BTW, it is the same thing as the C-750UZ) and, while I like it, it isn't perfect and it sounds like it probably isn't going to be what you are looking for. For all of it's good qualities, I find that it is lacking in the fully automatic point and shoot quick response department (although there are work arounds available). It is especially noticable in low light, low contrast, high zoom conditions. Sometimes, it just plain gets the focus wrong. I understand that the C-765 suffers in a similar way. IIRC the only Oly UZ that has image stabilization is the C-770, and I'm not so certain that model is any better on the quick response front. As far as the software goes, well, I'm not using the Camedia software all that much anyway, so it just isn't an issue for me.

John_Reed
02-16-2005, 09:00 AM
:confused: We have given our old D550 zoom to our daughter and now want a 3mp minimum and 10x zoom. We are headed to Costa Rica in June, need to take sport shots of kids (useless on the older Olympus) and occasional b-days and holidays, school gym stuff.

I hated the lag on the old camera, but I'm usually just a point and shoot type, so maybe I fouled up the settings for action shots. Also not thrilled with the old photo software from Olympus. So I'm skittish to consider the another Olympus but like the new ultra zooms stabilizer. I want a quick response camera!

Need advice Please! Should I steer away from another Olympus like my instinct says?
BCheck out the Panasonic Lumix line. 12X stabilized Leica zoom lenses with fast lag times. Of the ones available right now, I think my FZ15 is the fastest, lag-wise, but the new FZ4/FZ5 just announced promise faster AF times as well. By June, they should be readily available. The latter cameras should be size-competitive with your current Oly, the FZ15 is bigger, I think.

Rex914
02-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd hate to hijack the Oly forum, but you asked for a 3MP 10X zoom camera. Either the Panasonics or the Canon S1 IS will do the trick well.