PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a D-SLR from Powershot

Oxygen
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey all - I have a PowerShot S45, and I have been using it for about two years. I have been getting into photography more and more as I am exploring the manual controls on that camera. However, I think I have hit a boundary with the camera because it is not really good for wide angle shots (it has a 7.1 - 21.3mm lens f2.8-4.9, 3x optical zoom) or low-light shots. This is not to say I expect that of the camera, but I think it may be time for an upgrade. People have been asking me to take shots that will be used in prints. That kind of amazes me since the S45 is a point and shoot. I know it is not all about equipment, but I believe my potential is being limited by my current equipment. So I did some searching and happened upon the Canon 20D. I was thinking of pairing it with the Sigma 18-125 DC lens (as it is so highly recommended over the kit lens) for now, since that would be about $1,600, and right at my limit. I know I could have gone with something like the G6, but I do not feel the need to spend $700 when I am probably going to moving to a D-SLR at some point anyway, so why not save the $700 for lenses and other fun stuff?

I am going to be using the camera for studio shots (kind of), but it will be more as a replacement for the S45 as my primary camera, so I will be using it for everything.

I wanted to know what you guys thought - am I jumping the gun in going for the 20D? Should I go for something like the D70 or the Digital Rebel? Money does not matter that much to me if it means I will get a better camera. I am comfortable with a sizable investment that will last a few years (4 or 5 or even more) instead of a camera that I will feel the need to replace in the next generation. All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks

Rex914
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I too was in this exact same position a little over a mont ago. Of course, my camera's even more limited and I haven't even had the luxury of having access to standard manual controls. I too was slated to get the G6, but I paused to think whether the G6 would be a long term investment that would last. It's one of the best prosumer all-in-ones out there and at $600, it's a steal. I may even get one anyways as my "point and shoot" camera even if it's a little big. My current camera is just as large as the G6 anyways.

Eventually, I decided to opt for a digital SLR, the 20D. I actually haven't bought mine yet, but I can probably offer some tips for you since I just went through the same process.

There are really two paths you can take.

1) Buy a cheap, all-in-one lens to see what you shoot most. From there, specialize and invest in better equipment based on your needs. You will sacfirice a little quality in the short term, but you will have plenty of time to hone your skills and find your niche. Even if you do get the Sigma, be sure to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 for $80.

2) If you already know (based on current shooting) what focal lengths you shoot at most, you can immediately step into the fray and buy what you need.

I guess that the only other concern to address is whether you should get a Digital Rebel (or DR XT) versus getting a 20D. If you have the money, and if you heart is set on getting serious about photography, go for the 20D. You won't regret it.

D70FAN
02-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey all - I have a PowerShot S45, and I have been using it for about two years. I have been getting into photography more and more as I am exploring the manual controls on that camera. However, I think I have hit a boundary with the camera because it is not really good for wide angle shots (it has a 7.1 - 21.3mm lens f2.8-4.9, 3x optical zoom) or low-light shots. This is not to say I expect that of the camera, but I think it may be time for an upgrade. People have been asking me to take shots that will be used in prints. That kind of amazes me since the S45 is a point and shoot. I know it is not all about equipment, but I believe my potential is being limited by my current equipment. So I did some searching and happened upon the Canon 20D. I was thinking of pairing it with the Sigma 18-125 DC lens (as it is so highly recommended over the kit lens) for now, since that would be about $1,600, and right at my limit. I know I could have gone with something like the G6, but I do not feel the need to spend $700 when I am probably going to moving to a D-SLR at some point anyway, so why not save the $700 for lenses and other fun stuff?

I am going to be using the camera for studio shots (kind of), but it will be more as a replacement for the S45 as my primary camera, so I will be using it for everything.

I wanted to know what you guys thought - am I jumping the gun in going for the 20D? Should I go for something like the D70 or the Digital Rebel? Money does not matter that much to me if it means I will get a better camera. I am comfortable with a sizable investment that will last a few years (4 or 5 or even more) instead of a camera that I will feel the need to replace in the next generation. All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks

Believe it or not, for as good as the 20D is, I doubt that you would need it. The Nikon D70 or the Pentax *ist DS would probably serve you just as well, and for less.

Don't get me wrong. The 20D is a heck of a camera, but for 95% of amature and semi-pro requirements it is overkill.

Would I like to have a 20D? sure, but I would probably keep the D70 for it's unique atributes as well.

Bottom line: You just can't make a bad or wrong decision here. :)

ktixx
02-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Money does not matter that much to me if it means I will get a better camera. I am comfortable with a sizable investment that will last a few years (4 or 5 or even more) instead of a camera that I will feel the need to replace in the next generation. All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Think about this, I don't care what type of photographer Bill Gates is, if he wanted to purchase a 1Ds Mark II he should, because he can afford it. If money really isn't the underlying issue you should purchase the camera you want. The 20D (which I own) is a phenominal camera. It is borderline professional, and even some pro's use it as a backup. The camera's TTL system was taken from some of the Pro cameras and the build quality of the 20D is excellent. The 20D is a great investment whether you are starting out or you are a seasoned photographer. You will be able to learn everything about manual photography with the camera and as you develop your skill and style, you will be able to use the camera for paid work (IE: weddings). I bought my 20D with the 18-125 Sigma lens while I was still in school (recently graduated) with a very limited budget. I plan on building up my equipment, but as for now that combination suits me fine. I have been reading and learning as much as I can about the camera and photography in general, so eventually I might be able to make some money with my investment. Basically what I am trying to say is if you want the camera get it, don't let the fact that it is a semi-Professional DSLR scare you away. In all honesty it is an easy enough camera to use that anyone can use it. Hope this helps
Ken

Rex914
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I think your decision has been made a lot harder by the Digital Rebel XT.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4829

gary_hendricks
02-17-2005, 12:28 AM
The Canon 20D is an exceptional camera. Check out my review of it at:

http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/canon-eos-20d-review.html

Buy the 20D if you can afford it. Otherwise settle for the Nikon D70.

Rex914
02-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Your comment was made in retrospect, but just to make sure that the guy doesn't get confused, there's much less reason to get the D70 or the 20D now. Go for the Rebel XT. At $900, it's a steal.