PDA

View Full Version : might settle on Kodak DX4530/Opinion's please

kaykay
08-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I would just love to get the Nikon D70 or Canon digital rebel... but I am merely just a mom who wants to take pictures of her kids and come out with excelent print quality. I love taking pictures of just about everthing around me but mostly just my children/for scrapbooking.

So I have been lookind at reviews for the Kodak DX4530- unsurpassed image quality, stunning prints from wallet size to poster size; long battery life; good price around $300; no fuss easy to use; no delay(no lag time)between the time you press the shutter button and the picture is actually taken.

The only downfall I've heard is it's lack of exposure controlls, but as a newbie I really am not concerned with extensive exposure controlls.

This seems to have all that I am looking for, but being an ameture I thought I'd get your opinion before I say this is the one. Do you think there is there a better camera for around the same price.

speaklightly
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Yes, I agree the Kodak DX 4530 has gotten good reviews. However, the Kodak DX 7440 (see www.steves-digicams.com) has gotten even better review. The 7440 has more optical zoom, many more features and a much larger LCD. Why not give it a look.

Yes, it does cost a bit more, but it offers many more features, so it might be worth it.

Sarah Joyce

PetShopBoy04
08-13-2004, 09:03 AM
I have had an opportunity to play around with a relative's 4530, and I had a lot of fun with it. The ease of use really makes this camera a good buy for a point & shoot. But, the way Kodak processes the images makes them look muddy, especially in areas with high detail (like trees, or fur of animals), and it gets worse the ISO increases. Keep in mind though, that's looking at the image zoomed 100%. If you're scaling down for the web or making 4x6 prints then the camera can put out all the quality you need.

I did need to do some heavy post-processing with some of the photos I took (color correction, contrast, USM) but then again that's normal for most digital images. I would recommend this camera if you're just looking for a fun point & shoot that puts out good images for the web and small prints.

kaykay
08-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Thankyou both for the replies, I think I will keep on searching. The right one has gotta be out there.

D70FAN
08-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Thankyou both for the replies, I think I will keep on searching. The right one has gotta be out there.

Give the Canon A75 a shot as well. In my, not so humble, opinion it is the best camera under $300. It is a great beginners camera with full auto point-n-shoot, and has fun manual controls to try down the road.

But as always, please try before you buy. Wolf, Ritz, or your local camera store is a great place to start.