PDA

View Full Version : What is RAW and what are its benefits?

EAP
02-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I keep hearing about RAW mode...but I don't understand what it is or why it is better than JPEG or other file formats. What is RAW and what are the benefits of using it?

Rex914
02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Rather than explaining it, this page does it pretty well.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

EAP
02-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks!! :)

ktixx
02-14-2005, 10:30 PM
I am sure you will get tons of info from the link posted above. But in a simple explanation, RAW is similar to a photo film negative. Raw is an unprocessed, uncompressed picture. JPEG is a type of compression that doesn't allow as much flexability to adjust the picture at a later time. To make a crude comparison, Raw is a negative, JPEG Is a developed photo.
Ken

gary_hendricks
02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I keep hearing about RAW mode...but I don't understand what it is or why it is better than JPEG or other file formats. What is RAW and what are the benefits of using it?

RAW mode is the proprietary format for images captured by a digital camera. It is different for different manufacturers. It leaves your shot clean, and totally unedited, ready to be imported to the computer for editing.

wall7760
02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
ok so im on the same page as this other person. im not to great with the whole camera "lingo" and tried to read that page but i didnt understand half of it. So when i set my camera in raw, what are its advantges? and what is jpeg? is that the mode your taking in if you not in raw. In just more confused now. if anyone could explain it in simple language that would be great, but dont bother yourslef with it.

jaykinghorn
02-18-2005, 09:47 PM
OK, here's an analogy that several of my clients have found to be helpful. A JPEG is a processed image, like a batch of chocolate chip cookies. A raw image is an unprocessed image, like a bag of groceries containing flour, sugar, eggs and chocolate chips, along with a recipe of how to mix the ingredients. Let's say that you find the regular recipe too bland and want to add more chocolate chips. While you could add more chocolate chips to the finished cookies, it is much easier to do so by changing the cookie recipe to call for two cups of chips instead of one.

JPEG is an image that has been processed according to the camera matrix and the "look" the manufacturer wants to apply to the image. RAW is just the data along with an instruction set. With RAW software, you can make it look the way YOU want it to. You can change the white balance, contrast, brightness and saturation. You can even convert the image to black and white if you so desire.

JPEG workflows are very fast. RAW offers more options, but requires that you do more work to make print-ready files. The decision is up to you. I shoot raw because I want the control. I also shoot my camera in manual mode for the very same reason. You have to make the decision for yourself.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging