PDA

View Full Version : swivel LCD

irwell
02-14-2005, 09:52 AM
A swivel LCD adapted from a device that was used on
early camcorder that only had a viewfinder. Battery powered
and uses the A/V output from the camera. Might be handy for someone
who does a lot of indoor architectural shots.

StanStan
02-14-2005, 11:53 AM

That is fantastic. I want one! Would you supply more details.
Power supply, A/V jack, LCD, wiring etc.
Would love to get enough info to buy/assemble the unit.

Thanks

irwell
02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I bought the LCD setup in the 1990s when the
Camcorders didn't have LCD screens. It is made by
Citizen, it is a minature Moniter with A/V inputs
and takes 4 0r 6 AA batteries, you can take the
A/V cable that comes with the FZ camera and
join it to the LCD cable, they also supplied the
bar that fastens to the tripod screw and the
swivel head for the LCD, also a hood to shade the
screen for viewing. Maybe B&H still have them in
stock.

irwell
02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
It is Citizen Model No.M329-1A, may help in
a Google search.

louis.b
02-14-2005, 05:50 PM
You could use a portable LCD TV like this one...

Casio 2.3" Handheld TV (TV980) $54.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio-2-3-Handheld-TV-TV980-/sem/rpsm/oid/78587/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It looks like it has video in and you get a TV to boot! :D

StanStan
02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
You could use a portable LCD TV like this one...

Casio 2.3" Handheld TV (TV980) $54.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio-2-3-Handheld-TV-TV980-/sem/rpsm/oid/78587/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It looks like it has video in and you get a TV to boot! :D

I will goto CC on Thursday and look at their portable TV's.

I understand that there are devices that accept A/V input [from the FZ20 in this case] and transmit the signals to a TV. I Googled and Froogled MSN'd Yahoo and cannot specify it correctly so the search engines can find it

Thank You

arghman
02-15-2005, 06:36 AM
I understand that there are devices that accept A/V input [from the FZ20 in this case] and transmit the signals to a TV. I Googled and Froogled MSN'd Yahoo and cannot specify it correctly so the search engines can find itYou want to use the term "RF modulator".

StanStan
02-15-2005, 09:23 AM
You want to use the term "RF modulator".

Tried the term. Not quite what I need. Want a battery powered 'transmitter' to connect to the AV camera output cable and transmit the picture to a hand held TV. It's the transmitter part that I'm trying to find!

Thanks

louis.b
02-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Uh, how exactly do you benefit from this (external, swivel lcd) since the FZ-15/20 have video out during playback mode only!? My initial thoughts were that this would be cool for over-the-head shots where you can't see the fixed camera's lcd screen, but being that it only displays video out during playback this seems kinda pointless. :confused:

louis.b
02-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Tried the term. Not quite what I need. Want a battery powered 'transmitter' to connect to the AV camera output cable and transmit the picture to a hand held TV. It's the transmitter part that I'm trying to find!
Thanks

You want a wireless tranmitter to TV? Try searching for "portable video transmitter". Here's a product that I found that looks pretty good...
http://www.studio1productions.com/shotwatcher.htm

You might find other (less expensive) solutions. :)

But, again, this would only work for playback (At least that what the manual says. I don't have my FZ15 yet. :( ), so I don't exactly understand the benefit.

StanStan
02-15-2005, 02:19 PM
You want a wireless tranmitter to TV? Try searching for "portable video transmitter". Here's a product that I found that looks pretty good...
http://www.studio1productions.com/shotwatcher.htm

You might find other (less expensive) solutions. :)

But, again, this would only work for playback (At least that what the manual says. I don't have my FZ15 yet. :( ), so I don't exactly understand the benefit.

You brought up a point that I did not test myself. It was posted a few times that the AV output was available during the record mode. I put the camera on my tripod and aimed it at my target. I DID get the Video output from the cable on the screen of my TV. Every thing that showed up on the LCD shows up on my large TV. All the settings and the histogram as well as the focus/shoot sequence. Quite impressive on a large TV. I just finished packaging my wireless remote for focus and shooting. There in lies the problem: To see the LCD from a distance.

The whole point to all of this: To set up the camera in a 'blind', focus and shoot remotely where I will be 'safe' I wish to take pictures of bears that are on my property. After 40 years I think I would get used to them. They got to within 10 feet of my wife and I when we were planting flowers.. We looked up and there was a 300# bear on his haunches looking at us. Maybe he is getting larger after time but I am not to happy getting too close to them or they to me..

I am in the woods and have a hard time getting a long distance shot without trees getting in the way.

StanStan
02-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I looked at it but the $500 price deters me.

louis.b
02-15-2005, 03:04 PM
...I DID get the Video output from the cable on the screen of my TV. Every thing that showed up on the LCD shows up on my large TV.

Cool! :cool:

Here's another, smaller one I found for less money ($99), but I'm not too sure on the quality.
http://www.thespystore.com/videotransmitter.htm
or here...
http://www.microvideo.ca/915tx.htm

P.S. - Better make sure you wash your hands real good after eating before handling your camera, otherwise those bears might think it smells like something worth tasting! ;)

StanStan
02-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Cool! :cool:

Here's another, smaller one I found for less money ($99), but I'm not too sure on the quality.
http://www.thespystore.com/videotransmitter.htm
or here...
http://www.microvideo.ca/915tx.htm
;)

I have looked at both the items. Emailed them for more info.

Thanks

chinmi
02-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Uh, how exactly do you benefit from this (external, swivel lcd) since the FZ-15/20 have video out during playback mode only!? My initial thoughts were that this would be cool for over-the-head shots where you can't see the fixed camera's lcd screen, but being that it only displays video out during playback this seems kinda pointless. :confused:
yup, you're right... the FZ20 can only have a video out during PLAYBACK ONLY MODE... video out is disabled in any of the recording modes (P,A,S,M,Macro,Movie,Scene1, Scene2)...

or maybe... by using this device, the secret mode to enable the video out during recording mode is enabled... i gotta read the manual more often... :D

StanStan
02-16-2005, 08:46 AM
yup, you're right... the FZ20 can only have a video out during PLAYBACK ONLY MODE... video out is disabled in any of the recording modes (P,A,S,M,Macro,Movie,Scene1, Scene2)...

or maybe... by using this device, the secret mode to enable the video out during recording mode is enabled... i gotta read the manual more often... :D

I hooked up the FZ20 AV cables to my TV and pointed the camera toward my wife in 'her' chair. Lo and behold:--- My wife was on the large TV in full color in real time. Was quite excited that she could see herself on LIVE TV!!! Composed and took a picture of her while I was looking at the TV and not at the camera's LCD. Cool Cool Cool

Proof to me that the camera outputs AV in the 'P' mode at least.

Thanks to the post that mentioned this camera operation. Ignore the manual at times!

With my wireless shutter control I hope to take pictures far away from the camera.

Ordered a hand held TV with AV inputs Axion AXN5327 2.5" TFT LCD from Amazon for $60 including shipping but after $20 rebate.

Still need a portable AV transmitter to complete phase one of my remote setup. Phase two: Remote pan and tilt!

chinmi
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
that's strange... i cannot enable AV on other then play mode...

do you plug the AV cable before or after you turn on the camera ??

i usually do this :
1. plug the cable to my camera
2. plug the cable to my tv
3. turn on the camera on play mode
4. turn the mode to P,A,S,M,etc... and it didn't worked :(

what type is your FZ20 ?? The black / silver ?? made japan / chinese ??

i gotta test it again when i got home...

chinmi
02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
tried it turning it on in P mode... no good, still blank on my tv...
turning it on in play mode, good i can watch the recorded picture on my tv... switch it to P mode or other record mode.. it's still no good, go on blank... maybe i got a defected japanesse made black FZ20... :(

irwell
02-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Do you have the EVF/LCD set to LCD when
in the Rec mode? Try swithing it when hooked to the
TV.

StanStan
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
that's strange... i cannot enable AV on other then play mode...

do you plug the AV cable before or after you turn on the camera ??

i usually do this :
1. plug the cable to my camera OK
2. plug the cable to my tv ----------------------OK
3. turn on the camera on play mode Put on "P" mode
4. turn the mode to P,A,S,M,etc... and it didn't worked :( Turn on Camera

what type is your FZ20 ?? The black / silver ?? made japan / chinese ??
Japan, Black

i gotta test it again when i got home...

MY camera works: TV on; attach camera with AV cable; turn mode dial to 'P';
turn camera on. I then see every thing on the the TV that is on the LCD.
Maybe it should not work but mine does in that sequence. Have not tried any other start sequence. I can then change the mode dial to other record modes and see the LCD on the TV. Can take a picture in the record modes.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 02:39 AM

WOW. How'd you do that! I want one!

StanStan
02-20-2005, 09:46 AM
WOW. How'd you do that! I want one!

Ordered a hand held TV with AV inputs. Expect to attach the FZ20's AV cable to it to view the LCD. Need Let you know how it works after it arrives.

Looking for a video transmitter to 'cut the wire'. Lots of 'spy' stuff but too expensive.

Built a wireless shutter control. Plan to design/build a remote pan/tilt control next.........................................>>>

StanStan
02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Received the AXION AXN-5327 3" LCD Hand Held TV from Amazon.com
$80, free shipping, $30 instant rebate to sign up for Amazon credit card and $20 mail rebate = $30 [if I get the rebate.] Circuit City just denied a rebate.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=308&stc=1

The arrangement does what I wanted it to do: See LCD no matter where the camera is. I am not as young as I was and I definitely do not bend as well! Maybe use the upside down 1/4" x 20 tpi camera mount on the Tripod?

I hooked it up using a '3.5mm [1/8"] male to two RCA female audio adapter' then to the Pana supplied AV cables. Thus the audio and video goes to the TV. Sound is tinny but understandable. I wanted a TV to fit in my pocket so I choose a 3"

alf_italy
03-05-2005, 06:49 AM
It seems that I should have posted here this other post about FZ20... (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26030&postcount=2) :rolleyes: