PDA

View Full Version : Naming Photographs

Grossie
02-13-2005, 02:28 PM
I just got my D70 and I'm trying to figure out a way to have the camera name the pictures according to the date taken (a feature of my old Olympus), rather than the random DSC001, DSC002 etc...

I know I can force the camera to continue the sequence after I remove and replace a card. That still doesn't give me great information when I'm cataloguing photos.

Is there a way to date/time stamp the pictures in the file name? Anyone know?

TIA

Rhys
02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I just got my D70 and I'm trying to figure out a way to have the camera name the pictures according to the date taken (a feature of my old Olympus), rather than the random DSC001, DSC002 etc...

I know I can force the camera to continue the sequence after I remove and replace a card. That still doesn't give me great information when I'm cataloguing photos.

Is there a way to date/time stamp the pictures in the file name? Anyone know?

TIA

In Windows - with XP, you can sort by date picture taken, by size and so on. The information's all there, you just need to look.

Grossie
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Rhys, I knew that already.

I guess then there's no way to do what I'm asking. To me this is a flaw in Nikon's software. It was much easier to have a file named P021205001 (i.e feb 12 05, pic#1) than the Nikon standard (DSC_001). I found it very convenient for referencing photos.

Rhys
02-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Rhys, I knew that already.

I guess then there's no way to do what I'm asking. To me this is a flaw in Nikon's software. It was much easier to have a file named P021205001 (i.e feb 12 05, pic#1) than the Nikon standard (DSC_001). I found it very convenient for referencing photos.

Actually, I'd prefer it numbered p0502120001 (year, month, day, number) because that's the way Windows sorter - left to right.

gary_hendricks
02-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Actually, I'd prefer it numbered p0502120001 (year, month, day, number) because that's the way Windows sorter - left to right.

Yes, having it this way ensures Windows XP explorer sorts it properly. You'll understand if you're sifting through thousands of photos.