PDA

View Full Version : Sony-p-93 Or P-100

ragweedfan
02-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Can't decide if the p-100 or p-93 is the best value. The diffences I have found are the lens and battery types. Should I go for the p-93 and use the $dif for accessories or just get the newer p-100? And are there really that much difference in these cameras. Will primarily use for family (new baby) type pictures but the comments on video capabilites has turned me to sony from Canon-A95. Thanks for the help in advance,JJ :confused:

kimnicho
02-17-2005, 08:24 PM
For Indoor Baby Shots, I'd go with the P93. If you read the user reviews online, the P100 seems to produce very mixed results esp. in regards to indoor shots. The P150 is supposed to be a lot better! My best friend (who is a mother of 3 -all under the age of 4!!!) has the P93 and loves it. Her only gripes are the small LCD screen and it's weight. Will this be your primary camera? Have you also considered the W1? And also check out the P150 or new P200 if you want an ultracompact. Just know that whenever you buy/use an ultracompact, the image quality will be somewhat compromised although the P150/200 seems to produce great results-the 7 mpg doesn't hurt!

Rex914
02-17-2005, 08:53 PM
The Sony P&S cameras are great if a little simple, but a subpar video mode should never be a good reason to look at one camera over another especially in this situation. The shots that the A95 takes are far better than those taken by the P93 or P100. If you don't like the movie mode on the A95, consider getting on of the Canon cameras with DIGIC II like the SD300/400/500 instead, or consider a Sony camera with better image quality.

stonehill
03-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm in the same boat. My sony P-52 just died. This was going to be my back up for a SLR. I have a few Sony sticks and recharable aa's.

Which Sony would you recommend for best image quality?

joker123
03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I got P200 for the camera size and battery life. It is amzingly fast. You do need to change settings as you take pictures. The Auto gave 1/40 with flash which translate to blurr due to camera shake. So I use M and 1/60 or 1/80 and wide open for in door shot. And use P when flash is not needed.

debtman7
03-04-2005, 04:41 AM
The P150 is cheap at CC right now if you can find it. If you can find a P100, it would probably be cheap too (I just picked one up at best buy for $240 on clearance).

As for the shutter issue, mine takes pics at 1/40 indoors but I have yet to get a blurry shot from that. Maybe I'm steady... One key is to never zoom indoors in poor lighting. 1/40 *should* be ok at full wide angle most of the time. You just have to play around and see. I don't seem to have any problem with blurry pics.

As for image quality, if you look online the Canon's seem to look better in sample galleries. However, if you leave the P100 in P mode and set the contrast and sharpness to +, they look equally good. It get's rid of the loss of detail and overbearing noise reduction on the sony and gives great results.

Overall I've been pleased. It's the only camera I could find that will fit in a pocket while still taking add on lenses, it's about the fastest thing out there and it has a great movie mode (although it eats memory like crazy).

stonehill
03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
The Sony P&S cameras are great if a little simple, but a subpar video mode should never be a good reason to look at one camera over another especially in this situation. The shots that the A95 takes are far better than those taken by the P93 or P100. If you don't like the movie mode on the A95, consider getting on of the Canon cameras with DIGIC II like the SD300/400/500 instead, or consider a Sony camera with better image quality.

which one?