PDA

View Full Version : Cokin P Series

joepotter111
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone, I was looking to get some new filters and saw the Cokin P Series Filters. I was wondering if anyone has used these? what are your opinions of them? and how is image quality? Thanks a lot everyone. Joe Potter

Rhys
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone, I was looking to get some new filters and saw the Cokin P Series Filters. I was wondering if anyone has used these? what are your opinions of them? and how is image quality? Thanks a lot everyone. Joe Potter

I have a stack of the A series. I was all in favour of them and spent about 200 - 300 on them about 20 years ago. They were used a few dozen times but I found mostly what I used were the polariser, neutral density, starburst, red, green, yellow and orange filters. In the end, I put them all in a box and although they're all in mint condition have never managed to sell them. I went over to Hoya round glass filters for the whole lot and made sure all my lenses had a 52mm filter thread. My glass filters took up less space, cost less and are more durable. I bitterly regret wasting my money on Cokin.

Qualitywise, I thing glass has a slight edge over acrylic. Having said that, anything between the camera lens and the subject will degrade the image. I say filters are of little to no use to digital photographers. The only filter I'd use with digital would be a polariser.

Samuel Lo
02-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Cokin filter is useful only IF you are going to take creative pictures: that is if you have to use more than two filters together, or love some kinds of filter that's not found anywhere, or you have to change filters qiuckly and frequently. The quality is as good as glass one, but you can find something much better. If you're going to use polarize, or something simple, I advise you to buy big 77mm filter and get an adapter for the other lens. (not for 17-35mm Lens for full frame 35mm, you will get dark corners) Cokin P series is very, very expensive (about US$80-$100), I think it's over-priced.

Rhys
02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Cokin filter is useful only IF you are going to take creative pictures: that is if you have to use more than two filters together, or love some kinds of filter that's not found anywhere, or you have to change filters qiuckly and frequently. The quality is as good as glass one, but you can find something much better. If you're going to use polarize, or something simple, I advise you to buy big 77mm filter and get an adapter for the other lens. (not for 17-35mm Lens for full frame 35mm, you will get dark corners) Cokin P series is very, very expensive (about US$80-$100), I think it's over-priced.

I found the P series to be over priced. I think the A series is overpriced too.

I found them to be OK but I could definitely see a difference between Cokin's plastic filters and glass filters.

Personally, I prefer no filter.

ReF
02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
I have a stack of the A series. I was all in favour of them and spent about 200 - 300 on them about 20 years ago. They were used a few dozen times but I found mostly what I used were the polariser, neutral density, starburst, red, green, yellow and orange filters. In the end, I put them all in a box and although they're all in mint condition have never managed to sell them. I went over to Hoya round glass filters for the whole lot and made sure all my lenses had a 52mm filter thread. My glass filters took up less space, cost less and are more durable. I bitterly regret wasting my money on Cokin.

Qualitywise, I thing glass has a slight edge over acrylic. Having said that, anything between the camera lens and the subject will degrade the image. I say filters are of little to no use to digital photographers. The only filter I'd use with digital would be a polariser.

Hi Rhys, just wondering, how thick is a cokin filter anyways? these filters don't have any coating on them do they? is ghosting a major problem with these? sorry for so many questions, you're the only person i know who has used these filters. i was considering the p-series acrylic IR filter from cokin because i'm looking for an infrared filter for my 77mm and 72mm lenses. the 72mm HOYA IR filters will set me back $260 and the 77mm is $280 while the Cokin is about $40-$50. strangely though, the 67mm IR filter by HOYA is less than 1/3 the cost of the 72mm size. Anybody know why this is?

Rhys
02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Rhys, just wondering, how thick is a cokin filter anyways? these filters don't have any coating on them do they? is ghosting a major problem with these? sorry for so many questions, you're the only person i know who has used these filters. i was considering the p-series acrylic IR filter from cokin because i'm looking for an infrared filter for my 77mm and 72mm lenses. the 72mm HOYA IR filters will set me back $260 and the 77mm is $280 while the Cokin is about $40-$50. strangely though, the 67mm IR filter by HOYA is less than 1/3 the cost of the 72mm size. Anybody know why this is?

From memory, they're about 2mm thick and no, they don't have a coating.

As far as ghosting - that could be a problem with longer exposures. I've never experienced it.

Regarding IR filters, Cokin does a gel filter holder. If you could get IR gel then you could put that in a gel holder and use that. It might be cheaper.

ReF
02-14-2005, 01:47 AM
From memory, they're about 2mm thick and no, they don't have a coating.

As far as ghosting - that could be a problem with longer exposures. I've never experienced it.

Regarding IR filters, Cokin does a gel filter holder. If you could get IR gel then you could put that in a gel holder and use that. It might be cheaper.

thanks. i'm currently experimenting with using slightly smaller IR filters (because the large ones are rip-off) and trying to see if vignetting occurs considering that the crop factor cuts out about 1/3 of the outer frame. so far so good!

Rhys
02-14-2005, 08:34 AM
thanks. i'm currently experimenting with using slightly smaller IR filters (because the large ones are rip-off) and trying to see if vignetting occurs considering that the crop factor cuts out about 1/3 of the outer frame. so far so good!

A friend of mine put lots of red gels together to make a really strong red filter. It worked for him. I used to use a Cokin red filter with infra red film. Isn't there a Wratten IR gel filter?