PDA

View Full Version : replace my manfrotto 222 head

Simko
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
My 222 head doesnt really lock in place when the grip is released, its still quite easy to move the head around, and the tension is at the highest setting.

I have a canon xsi 450d camera, and my lens is a 55-250, no flash or anything else, the tripod i currently have is a manfrotto 190x or d or some other letter (can get details later)

can anyone recommend a head unit that can serve as a studier platform? Or is the 222 good, and im just doing something wrong?

TIA

Aaron

jekostas
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't really think you're doing anything wrong, the squeeze-grip type Manfrotto heads do not have a very high weight carrying allowance, so it may not be strong enough for your setup.
When looking at weight ratings on ballheads, you generally need to halve the manufacturers' claims, as most only test with a camera directly on top of the head, not off at an angle.

For ~$100, you could get something like the Manfrotto 496RC2 or 498RC2 (which replaced the venerable 486 and 488).

If you want to look at other ballheads from different companies around the same price, I've used the Giottos 1302-655, it's quite a good head.

The head I use personally is the Benro KS-0. It's been replaced, I think the closest model right now is the B-0. There was some bad press floating around about Benro a few years ago but the quality of their ballheads is increased significantly in the 2-3 years. I've certainly had no problem in the ~1.5 years I've had mine.