PDA

View Full Version : A collection of photos from London

herc182
01-31-2010, 04:31 AM
I am proud that I finally broke the photo block and went out to take some pics. Got up early on saturday, got a train to central london, and worked out that I walked approximately 4.5 miles taking photos. I did have a crippling back ache after that...

Was "only" carrying the D700, 24-70 and 70-200 on my lowepro slingshot 200aw. That is NOT a comfortable bag for long walks.

I have also made the following observations:

1 - The D700 is my dream/perfect camera.
2 - The 24-70 has a very sweet zoom action, as well as outstanding quality (which I guess I already knew but only now have I been able to make comparisons between it and the 70-200).
3 - I use the 70-200 more! Its my favourite focal length
4 - The sigma is soft unless you use it past f4.
5 - Adobe BRIDGE CS4 full screen preview shows VERY soft images. However, if you open them in windows photo viewer, they are far sharper. I had this problem before I upgraded to windows 7, and had sorted it with a lot of tweaking. As it stands, they are still very soft full screen previews. Think its graphics card related. But I was about to go mental when I saw how poor the pics looked, then realised it was the software.
6 - London really is a stunning city (when you get up before everyone else and its not raining/snowing).
7 - If you ever visit london, DEFINITELY go to the top of St Pauls cathedral and take some photos. Been a few times but this time I really appreciated it. NOTE: there are about 500 steps to the top....
8 - Also make your way to the Lloyds building. Its really stunning and I literally stood outside it looking with mouth open. Very different (see here for more info http://bit.ly/9iOuWk)

Anyway, hope you like the pics...CC welcome!

herc182
01-31-2010, 04:40 AM
1 - The gherkin
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4317778575_d7c617b6e1_b.jpg

2 - Lloyds Building
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4317759877_94a13955a4_b.jpg

3 - Mayors office and Tower Bridge (HDR)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4316803633_0f5db05583_b.jpg

4 - Someone on a rooftop!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2489/4316782525_833d016925_b.jpg

5 - The Thames and Millenium wheel
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4317511196_49f0fc703d_b.jpg

6 - (My favourite) Canary Wharf and some cranes (11 photo panoramic)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4316705781_1a6dbc7213_b.jpg

7 - Tower Bridge (top left) (14 photo panoramic)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4316577351_2c60577685_b.jpg

8 - Gherkin, Natwest building and a construction site (18 shot panoramic)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4317045002_9abb8ceda7_b.jpg

Cyberwlf
01-31-2010, 05:49 AM
'Only' carrying...heh. Short of adding 300-500mm primes or a slightly heavier body in there you couldn't have gotten it much heavier.

I find London a difficult place to find anything beyond people to be photographically interesting, but you've done a good job there!

PS. Canary Wharf is one of the better places to photograph, but their security can be like a bunch of facists when it comes to allowing hobbyists to photo there..

herc182
01-31-2010, 05:56 AM
'Only' carrying...heh. Short of adding 300-500mm primes or a slightly heavier body in there you couldn't have gotten it much heavier.

I find London a difficult place to find anything beyond people to be photographically interesting, but you've done a good job there!

PS. Canary Wharf is one of the better places to photograph, but their security can be like a bunch of facists when it comes to allowing hobbyists to photo there..

Thanks Cyberwlf.

I worked in Canary Wharf for a while (in the citigroup building) and ached to take some photos, but like you said, they are very aggressive. I found myself trying to sneak a shot with my mobile which would actually have made me look more suspicious!!

I did get some looks taking photos around the lloyds building also.

Annoying to say the least...

Screenclutter
01-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Nice pics, you even got some sunny days there

Was "only" carrying the D700, 24-70 and 70-200 on my lowepro slingshot 200aw. That is NOT a comfortable bag for long walks.

I am not happy with the look or size of every camera bag out there

Some of my two cents worth:

#3, London might be better suited to the 70-200, I rarely had the "want" or the "feel" for wide angle shots when I visited there

#5, This is annoying in general and not just Adobe, Windows preview in XP seems to give softer pictures, while other applications make the pictures sharper. Wish there was some sort of standard for all applications such that they would show the same level of sharpness

#6, I'd say London is my favourite Western European capital city, a few other things that are clearly underrated for London is that it is cleaner and I definitely felt safer here too

#7, 500+ steps isn't so bad, except you were carrying your photo gear in this instance

AdamW
01-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Rely nice set, Herc. What's with all those cranes? I thought we were in a recession and the real estate market bubble has burst....

Screenclutter
01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Rely nice set, Herc. What's with all those cranes? I thought we were in a recession and the real estate market bubble has burst....

It also looks a lot like this in Toronto where I live, there was a slight increase in real estate prices here actually

I'd say the U.S. was probably living beyond its means much more England, and their net wealth increases was based too much on real estate prices. I have no proof of this, but it seems to me that most of the people I've run into from the British Isles seemed to have their wealth increases based on income instead.

Prospero
01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Great shots, Phil.
#1: Really love the colours. I love the golden glow on the pipes on the left hand side. The sky seems a bit grainy - possibly due to heavy processing - I think it would be better if you ran a noise reduction program over that section.
#2: I think this one is my favourite. Love the black and white and the compostion. Very nice perspective here.
#3: Really like this one except for the tower bridge being in the picture. Not that it's not a nice building, but to me, it ruins the compostion a little bit. I really like how the stairway leeds to the buidings, it's a great use of lines. However, the towerbridge seems to be just a distraction in this case.
#4: Brilliant! Perhaps if you burned down the buldings in the background (using the burn tool, not literally), the image would be even more powerful.
#5, 6, 7, 8: To me there seems to be a bit too much going on in these pictures. The colours and contrast are nice, though. I think I like 5 and 8 best of these pictures.

I agree that London is a stunning city. I was there to celebrate the new year with some friends a couple of years ago. It was brilliant. There really are a lot of stunning things to see there.
The only shame was that the pubs close way too early :).

herc182
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks all.

This is London! There are plenty of foreigners willing to spend their money on new buildings :)

To be honest, there are LESS cranes now than there used to be recently.

Prospero - That is well spotted. I hadnt even notice the grain in the sky on number 1!
I think I like how busy 5-8 are. Thats how my mind works. I am never relaxed, and so having all these things to look at is right up my street. Plus it keeps my attention for a long time. I study the pics for quite a while :)

I have lived in London all my life and take it for granted. Hence I was really surprised to feel so differently about it in one morning!

As for the pubs closing early...dont even get me started...!

herc182
01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice pics, you even got some sunny days there

I am not happy with the look or size of every camera bag out there

Some of my two cents worth:

#3, London might be better suited to the 70-200, I rarely had the "want" or the "feel" for wide angle shots when I visited there

#5, This is annoying in general and not just Adobe, Windows preview in XP seems to give softer pictures, while other applications make the pictures sharper. Wish there was some sort of standard for all applications such that they would show the same level of sharpness

#6, I'd say London is my favourite Western European capital city, a few other things that are clearly underrated for London is that it is cleaner and I definitely felt safer here too

#7, 500+ steps isn't so bad, except you were carrying your photo gear in this instance

I agree I am still looking for that killer bag. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I want quick access to gear and maybe a space for a book. Is that so hard?

I have found that in Budapest I used the zoom lens more too (then I used my 55-200). I like the compressed perspective you get with a zoom. And when I do a big panoramic, you can only use a zoom. Having said that, I always had a bit of a vantage point...

It really annoys me that Adobe has such crap reproduction of the actual photo. There is no option (that I can see) where you can make the quality better. Bizarre given that its a photo program...is lightroom the same?

The issue with the steps was the gear I was carrying! (and I dont like to admit I am losing my fitness these days. I had an old couple ahead of me on the stairs and i couldnt overtake them....!!!)

Phill D
01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice range of shots Herc, difficult to pick a favourite but I think I like the Thames shot & the Mayor's office shots the best. Planning a brief London visit myself soon so you've provided some good inspiration thanks as I think I must be suffering a bit from that photo block you described.

herc182
02-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Thanks Phil.

make sure you check the weather forecast as a wet london is not the most cheerful place in the world (and for me, saps energy/inspiration for photos!)

nikonian
02-01-2010, 05:03 AM
well about the bag i have a lowepro slingshot 200aw bag it is a small looking bag, but fits a lot do not know how big the book is but you can adjust it real easy

herc182
02-01-2010, 05:48 AM
the top compartment is too small for most books I have found...