PDA

View Full Version : GC Thread disapeared

Geoff Chandler
02-08-2005, 08:59 AM
What happened to the Grand Canyon thread - I came to read back through it and it's gone - well at least - I can't find it anywhere, maybe I'm loosing it! :eek:

Geoff

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
What happened to the Grand Canyon thread - I came to read back through it and it's gone - well at least - I can't find it anywhere, maybe I'm loosing it! :eek:

Geoff

Geoff,

What do you want to know?

Geoff Chandler
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to read back through it all to recall what people had said - you know. It's not the end of the world - but I was suprised that it just disapeared - not pushed down the list as usual.
As for what I want to know, that's a deadly question just now. I thought I was fixed on getting an Oly C-7070. If that's not the one then I am going to sit back and watch again for a while. What I want? A camera with decent wide angle 30mm equiv. or less, to not less than 100mm preferably more but I've handled a few and 100 is the minimum at the tele end. Reasonably fast - good image quality - so I'd like greater than the 5060 5mp available preferably 7 or 8mp. Also dslr is out unfortunately as I have to keep the size down (at least for now) originally I was looking for small - but now I don't want too small. The C-7070 is about as big as I can go to in size. I looked at the A200 minolta - it's quite pasticky and the zoom is not smooth. he C-5060 I handled felt more substantial and the screen is clearer (can't have a small screen unless there is an EVF).
Don't feel you have to answer this - I feel like I'm about to go round the loop with all these cameras again!! :o

Geoff

D70FAN
02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Just wanted to read back through it all to recall what people had said - you know. It's not the end of the world - but I was suprised that it just disapeared - not pushed down the list as usual.
As for what I want to know, that's a deadly question just now. I thought I was fixed on getting an Oly C-7070. If that's not the one then I am going to sit back and watch again for a while. What I want? A camera with decent wide angle 30mm equiv. or less, to not less than 100mm preferably more but I've handled a few and 100 is the minimum at the tele end. Reasonably fast - good image quality - so I'd like greater than the 5060 5mp available preferably 7 or 8mp. Also dslr is out unfortunately as I have to keep the size down (at least for now) originally I was looking for small - but now I don't want too small. The C-7070 is about as big as I can go to in size. I looked at the A200 minolta - it's quite pasticky and the zoom is not smooth. he C-5060 I handled felt more substantial and the screen is clearer (can't have a small screen unless there is an EVF).
Don't feel you have to answer this - I feel like I'm about to go round the loop with all these cameras again!! :o

Geoff

I'm not sure that you can actually tell the difference between 5MP and 8MP when talking about all-in-one digitals. In fact the noise on the 7MP and 8MP cameras at ISO's above 200 will probably negate whatever image improvement is gained by additional pixels.

We've pretty much flogged this issue into the dirt. If you plan to do poster sized images then the extra resolution might be apparent, but for anything under 11 x 17 I don't think you could tell the difference.

John_Reed
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM

GeoffIt's still alive and kicking in the "Which Camera Should I Buy" forum: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4519

Geoff Chandler
02-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a slight dyslexic tendancy and I have gone over that Forum many times - and even after you pointed the way it took me a while to spot it!!
Thanks
Geoff

Geoff Chandler
02-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure that you can actually tell the difference between 5MP and 8MP when talking about all-in-one digitals. In fact the noise on the 7MP and 8MP cameras at ISO's above 200 will probably negate whatever image improvement is gained by additional pixels.

We've pretty much flogged this issue into the dirt. If you plan to do poster sized images then the extra resolution might be apparent, but for anything under 11 x 17 I don't think you could tell the difference.
I totally agree it's been flogged to death - I just want to buy a camera and get on with the picture taking.
As for the difference? 2 points:
1. I don't print much (not yet at least, but some) - I do blow up on the screen, a lot, to look at smaller details (typical examples would be large cityscapes or complex views). With test examples the differences I have seen are usefull. But 90% of the time I judge 5mp to be enough.
2. I am applying the principle I use with sound equipment - better to have a big amplifier running at a third than a small amplifier flat out ~ or better to have a large engine ticking over rather than a small engine screeming .. I wouldn't always have the camera at top resolution - I just want it available for 'those' shots.
I appologise if my search for the right camera is a drag, it has been for me at least!! - I will try to lay low until I have properly compared my short list cameras in the flesh. Thanks for the kind help.
Geoff

John_Reed
02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
I totally agree it's been flogged to death - I just want to buy a camera and get on with the picture taking.
As for the difference? 2 points:
1. I don't print much (not yet at least, but some) - I do blow up on the screen, a lot, to look at smaller details (typical examples would be large cityscapes or complex views). With test examples the differences I have seen are usefull. But 90% of the time I judge 5mp to be enough.
2. I am applying the principle I use with sound equipment - better to have a big amplifier running at a third than a small amplifier flat out ~ or better to have a large engine ticking over rather than a small engine screeming .. I wouldn't always have the camera at top resolution - I just want it available for 'those' shots.
I appologise if my search for the right camera is a drag, it has been for me at least!! - I will try to lay low until I have properly compared my short list cameras in the flesh. Thanks for the kind help.
GeoffThere's a lot of detail to be learned even from a "mere" 4MP image. Here's an example:
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/15615892-O.jpg
When I snapped this photo this AM with my 4MP FZ15, a group of Russian-speaking women were walking by where I stood. I don't think this fellow was part of their group, but I wanted to know if he was Russian anyway. So I zoomed in to look at the headline on the paper he's reading, and sure enough, I could definitely see Cyrillic characters in the headlines. He's definitely Russian!

Geoff Chandler
02-10-2005, 12:12 AM
I was just going to post my reply when my work PC kicked me out!
So here goes again!
It's certaily a good pic - I like snipped pics like that, has a certain something. I've done a few myself.
I personaly cannot really distinguish the text well enough to tell what
language it is - but your brain may be able to interpret it better than my poor dyslexic one! My frineds C-750 pics of Toronto are great until I want to
blow up small parts and then the details becom a bit to pixalated. When I look at good 7 or 8 MP pics they pixalate less at that magnification, (So I
have seen the quality I want on other cameras) therfor if I took highly
detailed photos like his I would like more pixals available for those occasions. Holidays etc I would probably go for 3 or 4 mp - last year I went for 2 mp
and was a bit sorry with a few of the pics - but mostly they were fine. I'm
still working at 3.2 MP and it's OK most of the time.

Does all that make sense - or am I trying to get too much perfection out of Point & Shoot.
Thanks for the pic again

Geoff

judge9847
02-10-2005, 03:46 AM
John,
It could be Greek maybe? But whatever it is - some of the letters of both alphabets are shared, if I remember my trivia correctly - the fact that we can see at least some of the characters proves your point. Cool!