PDA

View Full Version : Focusing and Flash Problems

The Jedi Ninja
01-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I use an E-410 and I think it's a great camera. I'm only an amateur photographer so I'm sure that I don't even know half of the things it can do.
At the moment though, I'm having 2 problems.

1. Autofocusing.
I've found that if I want to focus on something that is off-center, and focus on it, but then move my camera, it re-focuses on whatever is in the center of the frame. This is really annoying as I love doing informal portraits which normally consist of a short depth of field. I don't want the bookshelf in the background to be in focus while the face in the foreground is blurry!
Does anyone know what is going on and how I can fix it?

2. The flash.
Like I said before, I love my E-410 and think it takes great photos. So I take it to parties and gathering of friends and the like. This is fine apart from the fact that the flash flashes around 5 times before it actually takes the photo. Annoying to myself and my friends, as you can imagine, especially when someone is doing something stupid and you want a quick photo. It doesn't help that the flash is really bright.
Maybe I should just buy a little pocket camera for situations like that but if anyone has any suggestions as to preventing it I would be really grateful!

Paradox
01-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Auto focussing, you need to hold the button half way to focus, keep it held halfway, recompose, then click all the way. Otherwise it won't work.

Flash, I'm not sure on Olympus, but it's either an AF assist, or an anti-red-eye mechanism. Either way you can probably turn it off in the menus somewhere. Consult your manual.

kgosden
01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
For your focusing issue you need to make certain you are not set for CF (Continuous Focus). I am fairly certain that focus lock will only work if you are in SF (Single Focus) mode.

The Jedi Ninja
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Paradox, thank you! You were right about the flash.

And Kgosden, thanks, it wasn't set to SF.

I feel a little silly now, but I'm glad you guys helped me. :)

Paradox
01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
There's nobody on this forum who didn't have to ask a few questions when they got their first DSLR - All part of the learning process. :)