PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charger Question: 120v or 100-240v?

polvadis
01-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm about to ship my Nikon D40 from the States to Poland. Looking at the battery charger I see a big INPUT: 120v ~ 60Hz which would make it U.S. only. But then in a frame right below it states: Foreign input AC 100-240V 50/60hz.

Does that mean this charger works from 100 to 240V or is it US only 120V? Wording of both right next to eachother is rather weird.

A fast response would be greatly appreciated as I'm packing now. Thank you.

K1W1
01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
The Nikon battery chargers like the vast majority of switch mode power supplies these days will work on both 120V 60Hz and 220-240V 50Hz AC power supplies.
All you will need is an adapter available from any airport or travel goods store that will convert your US wall plug to whatever wall plugs are used in Poland.

britkev
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't have a D40 or MH-23 so can't be totally definitve in reply, however every Nikon charger I have ever owned has been universal voltage...

The MH-18 for my D300 is labelled in the same apparently contradictory way as yours - I suspect that perhaps the supplied power cable may only be rated for 120V... in real life (rather than potential product liability defense lawyers offices) mine worked fine with a plug adaptor with UK 240v power last summer.

polvadis
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
The Nikon battery chargers like the vast majority of switch mode power supplies these days will work on both 120V 60Hz and 220-240V 50Hz AC power supplies.
All you will need is an adapter available from any airport or travel goods store that will convert your US wall plug to whatever wall plugs are used in Poland.

Thank you. I already have the correct plugs so it should just work. The labeling threw me off a little as I'm used to the usual 100-240v on most power supplies.

shshsh
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM
I suspect that perhaps the supplied power cable may only be rated for 120V.

Eh - no. Suitability of cables is not a matter of voltage, but of wattage. The more Watts you need, the thicker the cable diameter has to be. And regardless of the fact that a charger for a LiIon battery doesn't have that many Watts to begin with, doubling the voltage from the US 120V to the European 240V would cut the amperage in half to maintain the same wattage, so it doesn't make a difference for the cable.

I don't think there are many chargers around these days that cannot handle the whole range of 110 - 240V.

As a side note, when traveling to a country that uses different wall plugs than at home, remember to take a multi-outlet power strip along, then one single adaptor (US -> European or whatever) will be enough.

britkev
01-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I'm familiar with Ohm's law, however the power cable supplied with the MH-18 in the US is clearly stamped 3A - 125V, so while no laws of physics are being violated it is easy to see why Nikon USA label their chargers in this way.

Dread Pirate Roberts
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I'm familiar with Ohm's law,

Photography seems to be the hobby for the scientifically literate

My charger (used in Aust, bought in Japan, manufactured in Malaysia) doesn't have that first line but just says "AC100-240V 50-60Hz"

K1W1
01-12-2010, 03:36 AM
My charger (used in Aust, bought in Japan, manufactured in Malaysia) doesn't have that first line but just says "AC100-240V 50-60Hz"

How come you got the good one?
My charger says made in China on the bottom!

Dread Pirate Roberts
01-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Guess it's just my camera is a year older since I assume you bought yours grey market like I did.

Or did you get the Chinese charger because you bought the camera at a dinkie die Aussie shop for 50% more than I paid?:rolleyes:

ssil2000
01-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Guess it's just my camera is a year older since I assume you bought yours grey market like I did.

Or did you get the Chinese charger because you bought the camera at a dinkie die Aussie shop for 50% more than I paid?:rolleyes:

ouch......

K1W1
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Actually it's the charger that came with my D50. The D300 one is still untouched in it's box. :D

Prospero
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Eh - no. Suitability of cables is not a matter of voltage, but of wattage. The more Watts you need, the thicker the cable diameter has to be. And regardless of the fact that a charger for a LiIon battery doesn't have that many Watts to begin with, doubling the voltage from the US 120V to the European 240V would cut the amperage in half to maintain the same wattage, so it doesn't make a difference for the cable.

This is not quite right. The suitability of the cable is determined by the current through the cable (in amperes).
While you are right that European chargers and US chargers should use the same wattage, that does not mean the cable can be the same.

The loss of power through the cable (that is thus transformed to heat) is proportional to the square of the current. Hence, if you divide the voltage in two and double the current, you get four times as much heat developement in the cable. This is precisely the reason why transport of electricity is done at high voltage. Thus a cable for a European charger can be thinner than one for a US charger. However, due to the higher voltage it must be isolated better than a US one.

Dread Pirate Roberts
01-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Yet more proof that photographers tend to be technophiles Dennis.

Nicely explained, what precisely are you studying, that response doesn't look so much like high school physics as something from university?

Prospero
01-14-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm studying Aerospace Engineering. I'm in the third year now, and hopefully I can get my Bachelors degree in August.
I get hardly any electrical engineering here, though. I had to learn this for my physics exam, it was taught as a part of the subject of magnetism and transformers.

umijin
01-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I got my charger last year here in Japan with my D90, it's like KiWi's - Made in China. So, my guess is that newer ones are OEM'd elsewhere.

nikonian
01-25-2010, 02:59 AM
well my chargers are all multi voltage 100-240 volt i have mh-18 and 18a for nikon even the charger from my :oops: canon eos 300d is multi voltage select