PDA

View Full Version : *istd and lenses

wirrah
08-11-2004, 02:38 AM
Just a quick introduction. I have only just joined these forums although I have been reading reviews on this site for several years. The first digital camera I used (on loan) was an Apple Quicktake 150 but I did not purchase my own camera until the Olympus C2000Z came along as it had the functionality I wanted. I was in a mind to upgrade the C2000 to an equivalent later model but the pricing has change so much that an SLR was finally affordable.

So I purchased a Pentax *istD. I chose the Pentax as I had several PK mount lenses (Sigma, Vivitar, Tamron) that I have used with a Cosina CT7 and Ricoh KR10 as well as numerous accessories. I also have an Olympus OM2 but those lenses are not compatible with the E1 (which is a lot more expensive anyway). So the Pentax got the nod. I have read multiple reviews on the available digital SLRs and believe they are all similiarly capable. I am quite happy with the Pentax. It was packaged with an 18-50mm Sigma DC lens which is useful as I have no other AF lenses.

I am currently considering the purchase of a good quality zoom that goes to at least 300mm and would appreciate any suggestions. Older lenses are fine and AF is not required but I am also interested to know what is available new these days. This will be used in general for animal photography mainly birds and dogs (and we're talking English Cocker Spaniels which are bird dogs anyway). I would also be interested in any comments on astrophotography using the the istD. And any general comments about the camera.

cheers

Greg

D70FAN
08-11-2004, 06:27 AM
I am currently considering the purchase of a good quality zoom that goes to at least 300mm and would appreciate any suggestions. Older lenses are fine and AF is not required but I am also interested to know what is available new these days. This will be used in general for animal photography mainly birds and dogs (and we're talking English Cocker Spaniels which are bird dogs anyway). I would also be interested in any comments on astrophotography using the the istD. And any general comments about the camera.

cheers

Greg

I have a D70 and have tried a couple of long lenses in the Tamaron 28-200 (was hoping for too much) and my current Nikkor 70-300. The Nikkor does a passable job, and was very reasonable at $150. I don't think that Nikkor makes other mounts, but the point is that maybe you should try a long (but low cost) Pentax lens. Looks like there is an 80-320 that is in the $350 range. It does seem that Pentax lenses are a few dollars more...

Sigma offers a couple of low cost 70-300's for about $200-$250. Tamron also has a couple in the $300 range. I'm not sure what that will buy you in tems of quality, as Sigma until recently has been hit-and-miss. There is also a Sigma 50-500 (at almost $1000) that looks interesting, but I have been trying to avoid lenses with tripod mounts and over $500 price tags.

I suggest you hook-up with your local camera store and give a few lenses the once-over. Take the pictures home and evaluate the good and bad points, then go from there. If you are low budget (like me) then you will have to put in the legwork as there are some nice low cost lenses out there but you have to find out if their "working range" will meet your needs.

And most importantly help others by posting your findings here.

wirrah
08-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks George. I just need to find a camera store that is not full of glittering glass shelves stocked with the latest video cameras and laptops and run by trainee sales staff. Difficult in the city but store close to home is still a real camera shop. I'll post any outcomes.

For interest sake the *istd works well with my 80's vintage Tamron 500mm mirror at a fixed f8 giving as good a picture as I have ever got from this lens.

thanks again

Greg

D70FAN
08-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks George. I just need to find a camera store that is not full of glittering glass shelves stocked with the latest video cameras and laptops and run by trainee sales staff. Difficult in the city but store close to home is still a real camera shop. I'll post any outcomes.

For interest sake the *istd works well with my 80's vintage Tamron 500mm mirror at a fixed f8 giving as good a picture as I have ever got from this lens.

thanks again

Greg

Surprisingly enough, when I lived in San Jose (CA) the 2 local stand-alone Wolf camera stores, as well as the store in Los Gatos were very good, and the staffs seem to be well trained, and knowlegable. That doesn't mean that they had 20 years experience (although one of the managers did).

Very glad to hear that that 500mm "bazooka" works. Keep us posted, and throw in a picture link (like smugmug or ofoto) occasionally. It will allow you to direct people to pictures in much larger format than using the html method (which I think is limited to 50KB). It also saves Jeff some bandwidth.

wirrah
09-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Just an update to this discussion. I have now used several lenses on this camera as follows (note - make sure you have the latest firmware)

Cosina 50mm F2 (from my old CT7)
Sigma 35-70 Zoom F3.5 F2.8
Tamron 500mm Mirror F8
Sigma 60-200 Zoom F4
Sigma 18-35 Zoom AF Digital (it came with the camera)
Asahi Takumar 135mm F3.5 screw mount

The first three are non-A K lenses. If you use anything other than maximum aperture you must press the "green button" to meter and set the camera to "M". Since the Tamron is fixed focal length it can be used in aperture priority as well as manual.

The interesting one has been been the Takumar. This worked exceptionally well. I had no problems using aperture priority but you must set the lens itself to manual mode. Metering is then stop down. This presents few problems in sunlight but requires focusing first in low light conditions before shutting down. But it worked well.

Greg