PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Micro Four Thirds section?

Ken.
01-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I just picked up an EP-1 and I'm thinking: "does Olympus MFT need it's own forums?" It's a sweet camera and, now that I have one, I can see how nicely this can fit into my workflow.

Phill D
01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Ken your experience with the EP-1 will be interesting hope you can post them. As for it's own forum Jeff has addedd micro 4/3 on to the Panasonic thread but maybe there should be a separate thread for all micro 4/3 cameras now there are more of them.

Ken.
01-12-2010, 04:26 AM
I think MFT should have it's own forum or there should be an Olympus MFT. It really is a bit different than the Panasonic.

I'm still in the "dazzled" phase so I don't want to really get into any image impressions. The auto focus speed hasn't been an issue, nor has the 230k dot screen, lack of viewfinder, etc. I'm not using it like an SLR but a high end P&S. Image quality on test shots is bang on with my E-510, maybe a tick better in DR. What can't be described is "feel". This camera has an expensive, jewel like, dare I say it, near Leica mechanical feel. If the lens moved a little silkier it would be downright spooky.

Ken.
01-18-2010, 05:52 AM
It's been an interesting time with the Olympus E-P1 so far. The images are excellent, as I expected them to be. There's a subtle difference between the E-P1 images and the E-510 images, mostly in saturation and dynamic range. The E-510 is a little more natural but the DR is a tick narrower. The AUTO mode in the E-P1 guesses a bit better. None of this is groundbreaking news. The E-P1 is based on newer technology so it should be a bit more evolved.

Handling is where the differences show. Auto-focus speed and accuracy for the most is a non issue. If it's that dark no focus system is going to be quick without an on-board illuminator. Manual focus. Equally, no flash is not a big deal. Images through ISO 800 are nice. ISO 1600 properly exposed is good, too. Pixel peepers will complain but overall quite usable images. Framing on a big screen is no big deal. Yes, bright light does make things interesting but I decided that this is a camera for photojournalism/grab shots - not pinpoint perfect frame SLR shots. Two different shooting styles.

I think the biggest "quirk" I ran into was having to edit the file names so that I did not accidentally overwrite files from either camera. The second "quirk" is that Mac OS X can't "see" the E-P1 ORF files. Lightroom can. Apple takes quite a bit of time updating their RAW converters. I can't say anything about JPEG's since I haven't shot any. I'm sure they're fine.

The biggest thing about this camera is the "oooooo ahhhhhhh" factor. I've always said Olympus' high end cameras have "a soul" and this one is no different. People react to this camera positively. It resonates with them. The smooth metal and design mask the complexity. It's very Leica in that respect.

Overall, it's been all good. The new cameras won't replace a DSLR. Sorry, but no EVF is going to be faster and more accurate than light bouncing through a prism. When I need absolute accuracy under the broadest range of conditions then the E-510 (or whatever I get next) is the right choice. But these PEN cameras are brilliant for photojournalism. These are game changing cameras.

Bravo Olympus! Pro's finally have small, powerful camera.

Phill D
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Hmm you sound like a happy camper to me Ken. Thanks for posting your thoughts

Ken.
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
To a large degree, yes. It's a great camera but not a replacement for an SLR with an optical viewfinder. I went shooting this afternoon and half the time I had no idea what I was aiming at. It was kinda fun, actually.

Ken.
01-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Two images from a morning walk with the E-P1...

raven15
01-24-2010, 05:55 AM
To a large degree, yes. It's a great camera but not a replacement for an SLR with an optical viewfinder. I went shooting this afternoon and half the time I had no idea what I was aiming at. It was kinda fun, actually.

Hah! I've been practicing the no aim thing, it can be pretty fun. I'm using my hotshoe level and a long straight lens (the kit lenses are best because they are so straight, but I'm using the 14-54) to practice aiming with no viewfinder. The big reason is raising a camera ro my eye makes people nervous, but if I can still make eye contact no problem. The problem comes from how many people have no heads with this method :rolleyes:.

Ken.
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
It's coming back to me slowly. Amazing how I used to do it so easily in 35mm days.