PDA

View Full Version : shooting RAW again

raven15
01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I switched from jpeg back to RAW again. 2 reasons. 1st, I discovered that Olympus Studio can batch process RAW files into jpeg, and runs nicely in the background while it is working (more nicely than Photoshop!). Olympus generously decided to "loan" me Studio for my netbook for a few months, since I am on a Chinese salary and have already paid them several thousand dollars, with more likely in the future.

I am only intending to use the RAW files for extra work on less than 1% of my shots (much less), which are both very good and desperately in need of extra processing. Also, I'm less likely to accidentally overwrite or delete RAW files, which isn't true for original jpegs. Plus, a RAW file is only about 30-40% bigger than a Large Super Fine jpeg file.

2nd reason was the photograph at the bottom of the page, which was not that great until I tweaked the colors in RAW, I don't think JPEG would have worked as well. I hope to do the same for others someday. By the way, if you know which crop is better, please tell me :confused:.

Anyhow I'm off on a 6 or 7 week China Tour or something. Maybe I'll check in sometimes, or maybe I'll just be gone for two months. :)

Phill D
01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Have a good trip raven, drop in now and then when you can. I look forward to lots of posts when you get back.

builder24car
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Have a great trip Raven and be safe! :)