PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold......

builder24car
12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
For our Olympus cameras to be out taking pics? I was hoping to take some night shots this weekend while the area was clear but naturally they are calling for rain AGAIN this weekend. So I'm thinking about getting up about 4:00 in the morning and giving it a try. It's supposed to be about 25 degrees, is that too cold for the equipment? I've shot in snow with no problems before. I THINK I read in the owners manual where 18 degrees was the limit?

jekostas
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Instruction manual for the E-500 on Olympus' Website:

0-40C (32-104F) Operating
-20-60C (-4-140F) Storage

Get a good camera bag, keep it under your jacket if you can.

kgosden
12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, I just spent the weekend out in Yosemite in the snow all day. It was probably close to or below freezing. My only problem was short battery life.

raven15
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know, but here in Inner Mongolia the high temperature is supposed to be -2 F. I plan to take my camera out all day on Sunday, and if it stops working because of the that I'll throw it on the ground and jump on it until it can't be recognized as a camera. (However, I will bring an extra battery or two). Obviously I'm not concerned. I have never heard of any make of camera stop working because of cold. I have heard of problems with condensation when returning inside, and batteries have shorter lives. Otherwise, your fingers are the weakest link, how cold can you use them?

Here is an interesting link to a guy who used an Olympus E-300 during a winter in the Artic, I highly recommend reading it (or at least scanning the pictures!).

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/g/wk-spitsbergen.html (http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/g/wk-spitsbergen.html)

He got some ridiculous pictures, like this one:

TheWengler
12-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Make sure you keep the batteries warm. Maybe in an interior pocket or something.

David Metsky
12-17-2009, 05:14 AM
I've brought all my cameras with me hiking down to -20 F. They all have worked fine, albeit with shorter battery life. The cameras are quite good at lot temps, better than film cameras.

The danger is when you bring the camera inside into a warm, moist environment while the camera is still cold. Condensation will form on the camera and potentially cause problems. Keep your camera in its case, or if you can, put it in a large ziplock bag when it's still cold, then let it warm up to room temp slowly.

builder24car
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I appreciate the input ya'll! I guess I should have worded it different, but ya'll knew what I meant by the way you answered. :) Thanks for that link Raven, extremely interesting!

I stayed outside last night for about an hour and a half but it was only about 30 degrees and didn't have any problems at all. Well cept for my frozen feet, then I realized I was standing in water. *thinks to himself the ONE wet spot in the entire yard and he found it* I was working on my night shots, something that's hard for me..........

Ken.
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I haven't used my Olympus digital outside in the ice cold yet but in my Olympus film days I had a big bag of silica in the camera bag to absorb dampness. I had an Olympus SW for the nasty weather and I'm seriously thinking another rugged camera is needed. It looks like we're in for a rough winter.

raven15
12-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I stayed outside last night for about an hour and a half but it was only about 30 degrees and didn't have any problems at all. Well cept for my frozen feet, then I realized I was standing in water. *thinks to himself the ONE wet spot in the entire yard and he found it* I was working on my night shots, something that's hard for me..........
Looks like your best one yet!

David Metsky
12-18-2009, 09:10 AM
If you are standing in water, it's not cold. :)