PDA

View Full Version : Canon eos 20d issues in auto mode

tony123
02-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I got my 20D a few days back. I noticed that in auto mode the indoor night shots have a distinct yellowish tinge to them. Also all the pictures in auto mode are shot at ISO 400 only, irrespective of if it's a night shot or a bright day light shot. Can some one tell me from their experience, is it true for all 20d's or there's something wrong with my camera. I previously owned a 300d but I never had these issues. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eagle17
02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
are you sure you have your white balence set correctly... that is the big thing that i can think of.. also do you have more than one lens to use? can you post a link to some of the pics that have this yellow tinge the worst?

I do not have this problem on my camera...

ktixx
02-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Seems like a few people are having issues with the 20D in full auto mode. My suggestion is to learn to shoot in manual :p . I agree, you might want to take a look at your white balance setting. I am pretty sure in auto mode, the white balance would automatically be set to auto, but it might be possible that you have selected some other, such as custom, or Kelvin balance. Also, check the white balance correction (in the menu) it is possible that the settings were changed. Finally, check to make sure that your firmware is version 1.1.0 (or the latest) sometimes different firmware versions will fix problems. As for a test, I would use the custom white balance setting in manual mode. This will allow you to make sure there is nothing wrong with your camera. The manual will describe how to use this feature in more depth (if you are unfamiliar) but basically you take a shot in which pure white fills the center of the viewfinder, then you go into the menu and select the picture. The camera will do the rest and every picture you take (in the same room, under the same lighting conditions) will be properly balanced.
Good luck
Ken

ktixx
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
I recently read a review on the 20D and it seems that under tungsten lights especially, there was a problem with how the image was captured. The person doing the review photographed a neutral gray card under tungsten and florecent light, and when the white balance was left on auto, the gray card looked brown. This is probably why you see you distinct yellow tint. The review showed that under florecent light it wasn't quite as bad. Overall however, it showed that you will need to do the custom white balance to get the proper color.
Good Luck
Ken

ktixx
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Take a look at the Gray cards (middle of the review) this may answer some of your questions.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos20d.html