PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if this is a legal or ethical question?....

builder24car
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm wanting to shoot some houses that are decorated nice for Christmas. I saw one tonight that just begs to have it's pic made. My question is should I ask Mr and Mrs homeowner for permission to take pics of their house with a copy of the final pic going to them? Or should I just stand on the highway right-a-way which is public property and snap away hoping I don't get shot? I'd post the best ones on my Flickr page, with no names, addresses, etc of course. I took some tonight of a house but it's so well known I'm sure it's been photographed thousands of times before. Most of the shots would be night time shots as that's what I'm working on learning these days. I hope this makes sense and I'd like to hear what others think?

jekostas
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
If it's visible from the street, you're all good. It's a public display, and publicly viewable. Feel free to send them a picture if you'd like, but you're under no obligation to do so (from a legal perspective).

It might be nice if you can get a couple of good ones, though.

builder24car
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks jekostas, I appreciate it! That's kind of the way I was thinking as well and agree with you when you said they put it on display for everyone to see.