PDA

View Full Version : How do you use bounce flash when shooting sideways (portrait)?

nick_the_guy
02-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading to a digital camera with a hotshoe and to get a head capable of bounce flash. (My dad's old Pentax flash doesn't do it). I have a question about bouncing the flash when shooting portrait - can you still bounce the flash off the ceiling or is it stuck bouncing off a wall?

I'm thinking about the Canon G6 so if you can recommend some flashes that can bounce in either position, I would appreciate it.

jamison55
02-06-2005, 04:38 AM
If you get a flash that can bounce and swivel (such as the Canon 420 EX if you want TTL metering, or the Sunpak 383 if you don't), you can bounce off the ceiling in both portrait and landscape configurations.

If portraits are your goal, however, you will be much better suited spending an extra $100 for a Digital Rebel...

dwig
02-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Either:

1. For casual, occasional use, get a flash that tilts and swively, as per "jamison55". This works fine but balances poorly.

2. For heavy regular use (wedding photography, ...) get a flash that can be used on a remote cord (generally a shoe-to-shoe cable) and use a flash bracket that will allow the camera to be flipped from horizontal to vertical while the flash and the bracket's main grip remain is the same position. With this design, the flash needs to tilt up but needs no swivel. Here's a link to one classic line of such brackets:
http://www.tiffen.com/Stroboframe_ProT_page.htm