PDA

View Full Version : Ep-2

Ken.
11-06-2009, 04:33 AM
I figured these forums would be chattering about the new Olympus EP-2. Nada.

I played with the EP-1 at Photo Expo and it's nice. Too pricey, but nice. I spoke at length with the Olympus rep about it needing a proper 100% view optical viewfinder to really be attractive to me. Then the EP-2 dropped, even pricier, with an EVF. The problem for me is that the E620 was there and when comparing the two it became a more for less proposition. I just don't get it. I mean the EP's are just crazy priced (same for the Panasonic's by the way).

In the end, I decided it just made more sense to keep my snappy and Olympus SLR's...

jekostas
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I still think you're making the wrong comparison here. The EP series are supposed to be quality compact cameras, not SLRs. Considering the body styles, there really isn't room for optical viewfinders and if there were, they'd be off-centre finders with significant parallax error. If you're so worried about framing in the LCD being unnatural, get a Hoodman loop.

Ken.
11-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Having started with rangefinders I'm well aware of parallax errors. I'm not making a distinction between size or types of cameras either. I'm thinking about handling and actually creating images with it. For the price point or an EP-1 or 2 I would go with the E620 since it's more flexible.

jekostas
11-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, that really depends on your definition of flexible, doesn't it? The E-620 may have an optical viewfinder and considerably greater lens choices, but there are plenty, plenty of times where size and portability trump expansion capability.

Ken.
11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
True enough. I have a small camera for snaps as well as an E-510. I just don't find the E with the 14-42 so big as to be a problem to carry. It's the cost versus flexibility of the EP's that put me off. They're pricey. The VF on the EP-2 better do some damned fancy tricks for a grand plus.

raven15
11-09-2009, 06:30 AM
I thought everything had already been said about the EP-1, which is virtually identical.

For me, the micro 4/3 system is still "hold." I'm waiting at least a year or two before changing that to "buy," and even then I might not get one.

Now, who cares about the new camera, what about the lenses :D. They too thick to be called "pancake."

Ken.
11-14-2009, 06:06 AM
The 14-42 collapsible lens is pretty compact. It seems that there's very few fixed focal length lenses out there anywhere on any camera, no less high speed. They seem to be trickling out now as people are asking "why could I get this on 35mm but not now?"

I think my resistance point (besides price) is I don't care for a bits and pieces camera. An add-on viewfinder is, well, add-on. Olympus did optical zooming rangefinders/viewfinders in the past. I thought for sure it would happen again.

raven15
11-14-2009, 07:12 AM
I wasn't talking about the existing lenses, but the new 14-150 and 9-18. I was hoping for more small primes, like the 20mm f/1.7. Add a pancake 12mm and a pancake 50mm and I'd be tempted. As it is, well I already got a 9-18.

I wouldn't use an add-on EVF either. It wouldn't last long in my pocket :o.

Ken.
11-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I was just thinking "prime lens". A zoom is nice but it would be nice to have a small, compact prime. In a bit of wishful thinking, it would be nice to see distance and dof markings too. I could preset everything and just shoot.