PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain compression rate....

builder24car
10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
In easy terms? I understand the pixel count but I don't understand the compression rate. I'm reading my manual and I can set it to the following for example......[1/2.7]/[1/4]/[1/8]/[1/12](I typed it just as it appears in the book). I'm trying to figure out what impact what setting has? Thank you! :)

Gecko23
10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
JPG compression is a trade off between file size and image quality. The higher the compression, the worse the resulting image, and vice versa.

Those ratios are the estimated file sizes of the compressed output versus the original image. The higher the ratio, the higher the compression, and the higher the distortion in the resulting image.

kgosden
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Olympus offers some of the most flexible file storage options of any manufacturer. Testing on various sites has generally found that the best Olympus JPEGs are some of the highest quality of any camera. I believe that the 1/2.7 which I always use is labeled LSF(Large Super Fine).

raven15
10-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Yah... higher compression may result in little "squiggles" or little clusters of pixels of a different shade that have nothing to do with the original picture. It might also lead to a loss of color in some parts. The differences between 1/4 and 1/2.7 should be unnoticeable, but I still use 1/2.7.

builder24car
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Those ratios are the estimated file sizes of the compressed output versus the original image.

Sooooooo.......... [1/4] would mean the compressed size is four times smaller than the original? God I suck at math. *sigh*

Ken.
10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Lets try this from a more practical point. The higher the compression, the lower the quality, the smaller the file size, the more images you can put on a card. You can always reduce file size/image size/quality in post processing. It's not great the other way 'round.

builder24car
10-23-2009, 05:24 AM
I can relate to practical, thanks Ken! I think sometimes I put way too much thought in to something easy making it hard. I need to stop trying to learn everything there is to know about my camera in one day and have fun. Thanks to all of ya'll for the help, I appreciate it! :)

Ken.
10-28-2009, 05:27 AM
While it's important to know the science of photography it's the technique that ends up on display. Some of the best images were captured using the least equipment and purely by chance.