PDA

View Full Version : setting help please (dmc-fz20)........

hawksfan30
02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
i am going to be taking action shots at my sons indoor soccer games, could someone please tell me the best settings for this?(fz20). lighting is below average at the arena,. thanks alot.

hawksfan30
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
model panasonic dmc-fz20pp, thanks

PhilR.
02-04-2005, 07:45 PM
I would try the following: increase ISO as high as it will go. Use aperture priority mode and select the widest aperture - 2.8. This will force the camera to use the highest shutter speed possible, which you will need to capture athletics.

To be honest, I would be surprised if you can get shots with shutter speeds high enough to stop soccer action...

PhilR.

hawksfan30
02-04-2005, 07:48 PM
thanks phil. my dad has a sony mavica 5.0 pixel,. i used it for my boys outdoor leauge, changed the shutter speed to 1/1000 of a sec and it stoped the action cold. i hope my panasonic does just as good a job. again thank you for your advice.

John_Reed
02-05-2005, 12:21 PM
thanks phil. my dad has a sony mavica 5.0 pixel,. i used it for my boys outdoor leauge, changed the shutter speed to 1/1000 of a sec and it stoped the action cold. i hope my panasonic does just as good a job. again thank you for your advice.Depending on the lighting, you'll be lucky to get speeds as fast as 1/125 indoors, 1/250 at the fastest. So as Phil says, don't expect miracles!

2Windy
02-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I've been shooting pics at my daughter's basketball games over the past few weeks with my FZ20. Her games are held indoors with below average lighting... sound familiar? Because of the lighting, even ISO400 and a 2.8 f-stop won't get you a shutter speed over 1/60th or so... way to slow to freeze the action.

FWIW - I shoot 2 ways. I shoot some with ISO400, f2.8 and 1/250. The pics are dark and a little noisy, but I can make them decent with Elements 3.0 and Neat Image. My best results come when I crank up the flash +2 and shoot in P mode. The pics are pretty good, but I have to choose my shots carefully.

One of the other parents shoots with a Fuji 5000 and has similar probems. This is what we've come up with so far. Experimentation is the key, I think. I'm open to other suggestions too! :)

Good luck!
- Scott :cool:

gary_hendricks
02-10-2005, 09:30 AM
i am going to be taking action shots at my sons indoor soccer games, could someone please tell me the best settings for this?(fz20). lighting is below average at the arena,. thanks alot.

Definitely you will want to go for:
1) Fast shutter speed
2) Wide aperture
3) High ISO