PDA

View Full Version : Advice/input needed, lens question please.....

builder24car
10-14-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm looking to upgrade the lens on my Olympus E-500 camera. The people at Olympus said the Olympus 70-300mm lens would be a nice step up without paying a LOT of money. I'd use it mainly for racin and birding, but more for birding than anything. I've read a lot of the reviews, etc and the only possible bad thing that keeps showing up is a "slow focus"? My question is to anyone that has this lens is this. IF there is a problem with slow focus, is it something you can work around? Or is a case of what's fast to some people might be slow to others if that makes sense? I'm trying to gather a little more input before I decide what to do. Thank you! :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

raven15
10-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Well at this point you already heard from pretty much everyone knowledgeable, so there's really no read to make a second thread. But don't sweat it :cool:.

DoctorJ
10-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Call B&H and/or Adorama, tell them what you'll need and they'll guide you accordingly maybe even on a 3rd party lens if it is significantly cheaper.

builder24car
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks Raven15 and DoctorJ, I appreciate it. I'll give B&H a call and take it from there...........

Phill D
10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Just looked at your other thread before replying & as Raven said looks like you got some good advice already. So I'll just add my own personal view. I bought my 70-300 from B&H & use it with an E510 & have been very pleased with it. Given good light it will provide much better images than it should for it's modest price plus for a effective 600mm lens it is light & compact (although like everything it would be better if it was a bit lighter! so don't be too suprised by the heft compared to your kit lens). Obviously there will be some compromises & af speed is one plus it's annoying occasional habit of refocussing when you don't want it too as Raven said. Macro isn't bad either especially as it has quite a good long close focussing distance that allows you to get shots of insects without disturbing them. Flying birds are my nemesis so far. I've seen others do it well but I just haven't got there yet. Focussing has defeated me so far but I'll keep trying (haven't tried Ravens manual tip yet). Generally though I've taken many shots now that I wouldn't have got without it so I wouldn't trade my 70-300 it's definately a keeper lens for me. As good as the 50-200 is the weight & cost will always put me off. I'd love a 14-150 Pan/Leica but the price is extortionate so one day when I retire maybe, but even then I'd keep the 70-300 it's definately become a good friend. Spend some time at B&H trying it out before you buy the sales guys were very knowledgeable when I was there. Actually the experience at B&H was quite something in itself I've never seen quite such a high tech & well organised shop.

jekostas
10-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Builder, the 70-300MM has the same focusing speed and rough focusing characteristics (how well it focuses with low contrast or little light) as your 40-150MM F3.5-4.5. They're quite similar in terms of motor and build.

builder24car
10-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Phill, your insight was a huge help and I appreciate it! I feel like if I practice, practice, practice it'll be fine. I've come a long way already considering when I started in photography I didn't even know how to set my camera to manual. :o

What you said about the focusing speed being close to the same as what I have now is something I can deal with and I don't see it as a problem Jekostas. Thank you! :)

My lens should be here next week from B&H! :)

Phill D
10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Good choice hope you have fun with it. Just remember to keep the shutter speed up as it's easy to get camera shake at full zoom and soft images as a result.