PDA

View Full Version : Roses in the Rain

jekostas
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Just like the title states... it was raining relatively hard all the time, but the reflections off of everything made for some great colours.

kgosden
10-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Jekostas, nice shots. Glad to see you are making good use of the 'new' weather resistant gear.

Phill D
10-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes that weather sealing has come in handy already. I usually go out in the dry with a water spray to get shots like that. You can usually tell they are a cheat though probably just a combination of the light & the water I suppose.

TheWengler
10-02-2009, 12:43 AM
The third one looks nice. It could use a better crop though.

jekostas
10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
The third one looks nice. It could use a better crop though.

Suggestions? I didn't actually crop any of these.

TheWengler
10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Maybe something like this

jekostas
10-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Maybe something like this

I dunno... the crop is fine and all, but I'm trying to get away from always using the standard golden ratio/rule of thirds composition for pictures. You know, just to try some different things (also, the wife started complaining about the boring pictures).

TheWengler
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't see how putting everything in the middle is better

jekostas
10-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't see how putting everything in the middle is better

Any particular reason not to do that? It's not really a dynamic subject, and a middle placement makes it in no uncertain terms the centrepiece of the photo.
Besides, this way it's fully framed by the background.

Phill D
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
There's not much in it really but I think in this case the rules make a better image. I prefer Lukas croped version although I dont think I'd have cropped quite so close.

raven15
10-07-2009, 02:51 AM
There's not much in it really but I think in this case the rules make a better image. I prefer Lukas croped version although I dont think I'd have cropped quite so close.
Ditto.... sorry I'm late :D.

I agree it's boring to always use the rule of thirds, so instead make the subject determine the composition. In this case, because of the stem of the flower, the best way is rule of thirds :).

speaklightly
10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Ditto for me as well.

The series is excellent. Where was the gradation? Or in auto or did you, possibly use low gradation by any chance? Just wondering.

Sarah Joyce

jekostas
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I'm not necessarily against a rule-of-thirds crop, just wanted to try something different.

Ditto for me as well.

The series is excellent. Where was the gradation? Or in auto or did you, possibly use low gradation by any chance? Just wondering.

Sarah Joyce

This was taken with an E-1 - there aren't any gradation options.