PDA

View Full Version : Photos won't transfer on USB

SFLTracey
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi there. If this is the wrong forum that I am posting please move it to wherever it belongs.

I have a Koday Easyshare V803. I can't say the USB cable has always worked well. Sometimes it doesn't register with the computer. The last two days nothing is happening so I don't know what to do.

I normally plug it in my camera and then push the shutter button on the top so the blue light comes on (sorry, not too technical here) and then the computer usually recognizes the cable. Now nothing is happening.

Any suggestions? I don't have the dock so is there another way for me to get these pictures transferred. I need them for business. THANK YOU! :)

SFLTracey
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
P.S. In case anyone asks I don't have a memory card...I didn't buy one.

K1W1
09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
P.S. In case anyone asks I don't have a memory card...I didn't buy one.

That is a problem then.
Sounds like you have a faulty USB port on the camera or a faulty USB cable or a faulty USB port on you PC or a driver issue. I guess that you can see that it's not going to be a straight forward fix.
To solve the issue properly you are going to have to slowly and logically work through all the combinations of possible errors to wrk out where the problem is.
To solve the problem quickly I would connect the camera to another PC (assuming it's not a camera problem) take the photos off then buy a memory card for it and put all further photos onto the memory card so at least that can be removed from the camera.

SFLTracey
09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
That is a problem then.
Sounds like you have a faulty USB port on the camera or a faulty USB cable or a faulty USB port on you PC or a driver issue. I guess that you can see that it's not going to be a straight forward fix.
To solve the issue properly you are going to have to slowly and logically work through all the combinations of possible errors to wrk out where the problem is.
To solve the problem quickly I would connect the camera to another PC (assuming it's not a camera problem) take the photos off then buy a memory card for it and put all further photos onto the memory card so at least that can be removed from the camera.

Hi there. Thanks for the response. I had an online chat with Kodak support and apparently my camera must be already ON when I connect the USB port :(. Their manual really stinks at explaining things. I have never had the camera already on but would push the on button and then the power light would come on and I could transfer. This may explain though why I have had transferring photos in the past.

Getting a memory card is a good idea once I find a job...just to avoid this problem in the future.

jcon
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello Tracey. I hope this doesnt come across as insulting but memory cards are extremely cheap now. You could get a decent one for around $20. I mention this because I dont know if you realize how inexpensive they really are.

David Metsky
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
If you're using the memory in the camera, any memory card will be a huge improvement. You can get a 2 Gig Card (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Sandisk-2GB-Secure-Digital-SD-Memory-Card/2151589/product.html) from Overstock for $8.55 or from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183214) for $6. Add a little for shipping and you can get by for under $10.

Or just ask your friends with cameras if you can use their older, smaller SD cards. Almost everyone who has upgraded to a bigger card never uses their old cards again.

SpecialK
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Or just ask your friends with cameras if you can use their older, smaller SD cards. Almost everyone who has upgraded to a bigger card never uses their old cards again.

Saved me typing :-)

James DeRuvo DHQ
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree. Get a memory card. 1, you can take more pictures. And b, Easyshare software is extremely bloated. With a memory card and a USB card reader, it's a simple drag and drop to your PC. Much easier in my mind.