PDA

View Full Version : Organizing & taking team individual photos school gym

scrapper67
09-16-2009, 06:43 AM
I am new to taking team/individual photographs but I have taken on this new job and as the time gets closer I am worried I won't be able to pull it off, i have a great reputation, i have my own freelance business BUT....

I have a Nikon D90, any tips of taking these pictures? Any tips on organization? I have my envelopes, samples and a great company i'm working with but not sure about the correct settings without getting red eye, if I need any equipment. I have a detachable flash but in a big gym I don't see how that would help. The gym doesn't have good lighting...

Any suggestions?

Rhys
09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you've bitten off more than you can chew. You need at least a light stand and a long PC cord to your flash.

tim11
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Off camera flash normally doesn't result in red-eye.
How many people there in the team?
What type of flash you have?
How many speedlights do you have?
You can set D90 to commander mode without long PC cord if you have SB600, 800 or 900. I find this post very strange. Either you don't have much photography experience or very low in confidence.

jcon
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
This is a little confusing. You have a great reputation, but have zero confidence? How did you get that great reputation if you have never taken a group photo before?

It doesnt matter how big the gym is, its not like you will be standing at one end and the group at the other. Light stand is needed. Put your external flash on the stand, use the pop up flash to trigger it, you should get sufficient lighting from those 2 light sources. As a basic settings guide to start with, for groups I usually use F8 and 1/60 ISO200. Those settings coupled with your flashes should provide decent enough results, although that depends on what type of glass you are using too!

Just make sure all eyes are on you during the photo, and make sure you can properly see every face.

Maybe the biggest advice I can give is to never agree to do something without having prior experience!

jcon
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
You would probably be better off starting your own thread as opposed to taking over someone elses. It would also bring you more replies.

K1W1
09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Light stand is needed. Put your external flash on the stand, use the pop up flash to trigger it, you should get sufficient lighting from those 2 light sources. As a basic settings guide to start with, for groups I usually use F8 and 1/60 ISO200. Those settings coupled with your flashes should provide decent enough results, although that depends on what type of glass you are using too!

You have a D90. Assuming that you have a CLS compatible flash the light stand I suggest is a parent or friend standing off to one side of you holding the flash.