PDA

View Full Version : Taking the "Plunge"

jekostas
09-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, after being stuck inside pretty well all of last winter, decided to do something a little different this year - namely, picking up a small weatherproofed kit that I can take around, rain or shine.

That said, I've pared my lenses down to only the 14-54 MkI and the 70-300MM, and picked up a used E-1 off of the Fourthirdsphoto forum for a tiny $230 shipped...

should be very, very fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoskUtCnoY&feature=related

(not me)

kgosden
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Jekostas, I could never survive without something wider.

jekostas
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, waterproof now so I can keep shooting through the winter, a UWA will be the next on the list. Leaning towards the 11-22 since it shows up for reasonable prices on eBay pretty regularly, but if I do that, I might just sell the 14-54 and get a 12-60 instead...

Gah... so many good lens choices.

raven15
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
If I had only two lenses, that'd probably be the two. But next I would also want something wider, and then it would be difficult. If there was a high grade 100-400mm, I'd have that, the 50mm, and the 11-22mm, and a collection of pancake lenses (if those were available).

Say what you think about the E-1.

jekostas
09-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Well, have had a couple of days to play with the E-1 (no serious picture taking yet, sorry). Thoughts

-This thing is a tank. It's HUGE. Extremely well-built, though, and the ergonomics are excellent. I actually like the feel and ergonomics better than the E-3 or E-30.
-Viewfinder is fantastic - I believe it's the same size as the one on the E-3, or at least very close - much larger than my E-510
-Very responsive, my lenses have the same focusing characteristics as my E-510, but they focus faster.
-Buttons EVERYWHERE. At least as bad as the E-510, and the E-1 doesn't have Live View focusing or IS. A dedicated WB button is damned nice though, instead of having to map it to the FN button.
-External WB sensor and focus-assist lamp are nice, as is an external, top LCD. The E-1 is missing the fantastic Superpanel control system, but just about everything has an external button and is controlled via the dual control wheel instead.
-I never really realized the truth of "Kodak colour". This camera sensor does something to colours, especially blue and green, that make them "pop". Can't really explain it, it's not oversaturation. You'll have to wait for some pics to really see what I'm talking about.

Hopefully it'll rain a little this weekend and I can really put this camera through it's paces...

jekostas
09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Heck, this camera even makes the weeds purty

raven15
09-19-2009, 07:36 PM
It is true, for some reason E-1 images have a smoothness that can't really be described, even when they are reduced to internet sizes. It's interesting that the AF is so much better. If they were the size of the E-620 I might consider one :D. But I would really miss the super control panel.

jekostas
09-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I think I've found a terrible, terrible problem with the E-1... I've not wanted to touch my E-510 since I've gotten. Sure, if I'm desperate for a lighter kit or IS I'll take it, but it my be relegated to my bag for a bit. The weight is just reassuring.
Or, it may be the bigger VF

jekostas
09-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Fun combining the E-1 with the Hexanon 52mm - taken from a pottery display.
Very interesting "look".