PDA

View Full Version : Which camera?

joyful
09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi! I am new to Canon and am looking into purchasing a new SLR. I currently have a nikon d40. I was looking on canon's site. What do you think the best camera is for the money( less is best!!)?? I don't need video.

I was looking at:

rebel Xti
rebel T1i
rebel xsi

Thanks!
Mindy

timmciglobal
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Question: If you have a nikon why switch?

In terms of not needing video the XSI if going to canon.

Tim

cdifoto
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Other than being a Nikon (jab jab :D), what don't you like about the D40?

joyful
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm still pretty new to photography......so it could just be me, But when I take outside pics I feel like they are overexposed. Inside I still have alot of red eye.

cdifoto
09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Neither of those problems are specific to Nikon and neither would be solved by switching to Canon. You just need to get a handle on exposure for the first issue and buy & learn to use a hot shoe flash with bounce and swivel capability for the second issue.

There are a ton of books on exposure but Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson seems to be the most popular.

Flossmoor40D
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Sounds to me like no need to switch cameras. Read up on some exposure basics and/or take a beginner DSLR class via a local camera store or community college. I have a friend with the same camera that you use and she gets lots of great photos with it.

One other thought. Take your camera to the local camera store and take some test shots both indoors with flash and outside without flash, then grab any of the rebels you list in your original post and take the same test shots using the same settings. Compare the results. If they both have the same problems, revert back to the suggestions of reading up on exporsure and flash usage. If the Canon shots are good and your Nikon shots are bad, there might be something wrong with your camera. However if you are shooting in auto, you will need to compare the exif data for the shots to see what settings each camera is selecting when in Auto. The salesperson can likely help you with this.

liljoejoe54
09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds to me like no need to switch cameras. Read up on some exposure basics and/or take a beginner DSLR class via a local camera store or community college. I have a friend with the same camera that you use and she gets lots of great photos with it.

One other thought. Take your camera to the local camera store and take some test shots both indoors with flash and outside without flash, then grab any of the rebels you list in your original post and take the same test shots using the same settings. Compare the results. If they both have the same problems, revert back to the suggestions of reading up on exporsure and flash usage. If the Canon shots are good and your Nikon shots are bad, there might be something wrong with your camera. However if you are shooting in auto, you will need to compare the exif data for the shots to see what settings each camera is selecting when in Auto. The salesperson can likely help you with this.

That is very good advice. I didn't know camera shops offered classes for beginners. I need to look into that. My buddy has the Nikon D40 and he takes some very nice photos with it.

timmciglobal
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Oh and are you using matrix metering? Because I'll be honest... overexposure once I started shooting nikon was really a thing of the past. I've never seen the matrix metering overexpose something.

Maybe you have it on spot metering?

Tim

Flossmoor40D
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
That is very good advice. I didn't know camera shops offered classes for beginners. I need to look into that. My buddy has the Nikon D40 and he takes some very nice photos with it.

Joe Joe. Check out Calumet Photographic. http://www.calumetphoto.com/

They offer a wide range of classes in both the Chicago and Oakbrook locations as well as other store locations around the country.

See the link below for more info on the events.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=common.CalumetEvents