PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-600

jekostas
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Well, if I were to upgrade my camera body, this certainly looks like the one. I'm not overly worried about what's being left out (backlit buttons, 3 art filters and in-camera multiple exposure combines).

What strikes me is that this camera seems like nothing more than an E-620 with a few features disabled in Firmware - how long do you think after it's released that someone bright hacker figures out how to re-enable them? It's not like it hasn't happened before (think Canon Rebel with the "hacked" Wasia firmware).

What y'all think?

raven15
09-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Looks like the camera to get for sure. All the things left out are insignificant. It is possible someone will eventually find a way to get all art filters on it, but I don't think any firmware will light up the buttons.

Phill D
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Can't quite see what saves Oly money here by just disabling things surely the manufacturing costs are going to be the same. Although if it's just about pitching into a lower price market sector without any additional development cost then I can see the logic. Just needs an E640 to have added HD video & better LCD & they have the set. OK so it's a pretty good business plan.

jekostas
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Can't quite see what saves Oly money here by just disabling things surely the manufacturing costs are going to be the same. Although if it's just about pitching into a lower price market sector without any additional development cost then I can see the logic. Just needs an E640 to have added HD video & better LCD & they have the set. OK so it's a pretty good business plan.

From what I've heard, it seems like the E-600 is meant for markets where Olympus doesn't have a big brand presence right now to help build it up.

On the other hand, Olympus is well known for doing "limited-run" kits for different sellers. Examples are E-500 + 17.5-45MM kit for Costco, E-520 + 17.5-42MM kit for Future Shop (up here in Canada, eh?) and the more recent E-450 for QVC. Apparently, the E-4xx series was being axed because of the introduction of the E-6xx series anyways and they just added a few extras to the existing 420 bodies to differentiate and move them out.

As it stands, this is pretty normal for a lot of hardware manufacturers. For example, with computer video cards it's possible to BIOS/firmware flash many consumer-level video cards to the professional 3d/CAD versions with extra functions unlocked.