PDA

View Full Version : model question

Roger C. Reif
08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know of any older digital camera or camcorder in which you can maintain an open shutter for an indefinite period of time? Or a model in which the battery saver function can be disengaged? I am experimenting with creating a wildlife trail camera that could be open 24/7. Thanks for any help.

toriaj
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
From what I understand, digital cameras cannot remain open for long periods (several hours) simply because of their design. The battery (and maybe the sensor too?) just can't handle it. Plus, the noise gets out of control. The longest BULB setting I've seen is 30 minutes, but maybe there is a camera out there with one longer. What most people do is to take multiple exposures and combine them in photoshop. Seems like your other option is to go with film. Good luck, if you find something else that works, let us know!

Dread Pirate Roberts
09-03-2009, 02:03 AM
I assumed people just use those small $100 CCD security cameras.

K1W1
09-05-2009, 02:33 AM
I am experimenting with creating a wildlife trail camera that could be open 24/7. Thanks for any help.

Having a still camera shutter open indefinitely is going to get you nothing other than a brilliant white exposure.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Are you trying to capture still or video images of animals as they move through a particular area?
If that is the case DPR is on the money. What you will need is a camera that will take images based on a motion detector. An IP based security camera is ideal but if the location is remote you are going to need large numbers of batteries to keep it running over an extended period.