PDA

View Full Version : Minolta dimage Z1 & Z2 switch finder

windraider
07-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi, i'm about to buy a minolta dimage z1, i'm from CHile, South America, but i'm realy thinking of it, because i've read that the switch finder could brake... for those who have one of these cameras from a while, how does it feels?, does it really feels that its going to brake?, does it still works as it did when it was brand new?

i'll appreciate your answers, because it would be too complicated to send it to usa for the warranty.

thanks

Juan Pablo Mönckeberg

Nick
07-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Well Juan, I can not say much about this particular camera, I've heard of it, and the way it uses a mechanical switch. Everything can break. However, if you are to often switch back and forth between viewfinder and LCD, there will be more wear, and it is more likely to fail then a EVF or a optical viewfinder would.

A good friend of mine has a tiny Minolta F300 - she's very happy with it. Another recently bought, and exchanged two Minolta A2's because of imporper auto-focusing. Minolta tends to get mixed reviews on quality control, it seems. Now consider this, you are buying a camera that will be hard to service, and especially one with a more or less untested/not widely used viewfinder system, at least to my knowledge. Would you really want to rely upon that?

:) At least that's how I see it. As I said, everything can break. My two cents; I'd get something more tested and without the weird switchfinder gizmo.

Beequick
07-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Bro,

Stay away from the Dimage Z1 and Z2 for they have horrible picture quality. I returned mine today. Maybe the z3 will fix this (I hope) but you can get an HP945 the requires the same memory, batts, and has same basic features. You can also get the Kyocera M410 which has the same requirments but I have owned neither. I will say you will be unimpressed with the Z2, especially if you are an avid photographer.