View Full Version : The Fuji S6500FD Vs some new Superzooms

07-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I've just been comparing the IQ of some of the newer super zoom models with the Fuji S6500FD, and I am appalled to say the least.

The IQ of newer models seem so very bad that i think there's no hope for a good upgrade, and its been what, 3 years?

Just compare the ISO night shots in these links... :o

07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
And you just realised this? :confused:
The sensor improvement is only slightly larger while the MPixel size is more than double and that's where the problem is.
Some will argue shooting at smaller MP will lessen the noise but even then the new cameras' IQ is still inferior to the older S6500fd. To see this, simply resize a 12MP to 6MP and compare.

07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I didn't think it would be this bad to be honest.

I can't even see the corners of those buildings at ISO 100. Just look at those deteriorating edges. Its so ridiculously bad!

07-22-2009, 03:53 AM
The new S200EXR might be interesting. We'll have to see when Jeff gets one to review.

News item (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3961)

07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
This is exactly why I still own my S6K. Fuji hit the sweet spot with this camera along with the F30/31, which is the benchmark that is still used in the P&S world.
The only move left to me really is to step up to the DSR range and I haven't found anything that has convinced me to take that step either.

07-23-2009, 02:00 AM
The new S200EXR might be interesting. We'll have to see when Jeff gets one to review.

News item (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3961)

I'm not very thrilled about this camera. I think the move to proprietary batteries is a poor one, with a life of 370 shots. I also don't like the price, at 599 its too damaging to the wallet. For that price I could get a decent entry level DSLR with kit lens and all the benefits of the APSC sensor.

Its also really heavy at close at 835g. I think Fuji is missing the point somehow. IMO, it should be lighter. It should have better battery life and it should use AA batteries.

I like Superzooms but this one just does not appeal to me.