PDA

View Full Version : recommend setting for close up jewely picture

joycemok
07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
hi, i just order a few days ago a cannon a590is digital camera, i want to take the best jewelry and bead pictures using this camera as is. i am going to buy a little table tripod to make sure i do not a shake hand for taking the picture. i would like to try to take the digital picture without adding lights, and without the light cube, just a plain color cloth on top of a work table. i would like to take the picture inside an office with fluorescent. i know nearly nothing about photography.

can anyone give me any suggestion what kind of speed, setting, .......i have to try it out??

thanks

:)

jekostas
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
The problem is, we can't possibly know the exact lighting conditions in your office.

Best way to start is get an item you want to photograph, set the camera to Aperture Priority mode (Av), set the aperture to a high as number as possible and start at that point. Write down the shutter speed the camera reports back (it will say the shutter speed being used on the LCD when you half-press the shutter button). If the pictures come out a little too light or a little too dark, you can set the camera on Manual, set the Aperture to the highest number, and then work at the settings close to that shutter speed to get the picture you want.

If the lighting looks strange, you'll have to set the White Balance to Flourescent or Custom White Balance (you can find the instructions in the manual).

Rooz
07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
if you want the best possible pics then you have to put some effort into it. what you're essentially doing is lazy and the results will reflect that.

tim11
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
The best tip I can give is to use macro mode (flower symbol?), flash OFF and use the tripod. Hopefully, your camera has time delay mode. Use macro + time delay for a few seconds to eliminate camera shake from the pressing of shutter.
If that's not good enough then you will need more inputs to the set up but no one can give you what settings to use without being there in person since we don't know what lighting you have.

Ken.
07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
An available light challenge, cool. The A590 is a bit limited but this is do-able. The fluorescent lighting is not the best source since it can cause a color cast but it's correctable. Personally, I've done this with an Ott light (or full spectrum desk lamp). Set the camera to macro mode and use the self timer, no flash. You're going to have some low shutter speeds. Set the ISO low for maximum detail. You don't want the camera to ramp up the ISO to compensate for the low lighting. The problem is the lighting is very flat so the images may be lifeless. You should have a few reflectors. This can something as simple as tin foil on cardboard, white cardboard or a makeup mirror with a stand. It's subtle but makes a difference. I'd toss in a piece of black cardboard, too, to subtract light. One of the problems you may have is reflections in the jewelry and beads. Look closely at the images. You don't want to see anything but the jewelry. The real problem here the low lighting which will limit the depth of field. That's not good for macro work.

joycemok
07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
i just take my first digital picture with av setting to the highest and with a flash as it indicate i am under expose

http://diyjewelrycomponents.com/products.php?category=Necklace&id=nl001

i am going to try a different more setting.

any comment?

joycemok
07-21-2009, 09:41 AM
i add a image in my early post but my link does not show and i do not know why?

my picture can be seen in this link,
http://diyjewelrycomponents.com/products.php?category=Necklace&id=nl001

i use photoshop to add a little light to it.

it seem the crystal does not show it shine?

any comment?

i will try more settings and see the difference?

tim11
07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Of course the crystal will have shine and that's why Ken. and I recommend FLASH OFF. Macro mode, self timer, tripod and flash off. The photos don't look too bad for their purpose though.

joycemok
07-21-2009, 05:24 PM
my camera do have a time delay mode, i set time delay to 2 second, i do not even feel it. as i have to hold the leg of the tripod, as it is a very tiny tiny tripod, i cannot fold my camera straight down as it will strip the tripod. i think i have to add some weight to the legs of the tripod.

the picture is not too bad ( i would give 65 point out of a 100% ) consider i am not into photography but i hope it can be better?

i do try flash on and flash off with different pictures. i already take 10 pictures with all kind of different setting.

all 10 pictures are under necklace.
http://www.diyjewelrycomponents.com/products.php?category=Necklace&id=nl001 and continue to click view next, and you can see all 10 pictures.

any suggestion to make the jewelry more appealing?

( i do use photoshop to supplement some lighting which i purposely underexposure a little ( -1 or -2 ) as someone say it will be more pretty to the jewelry by doing under exposure )

:)