PDA

View Full Version : used lens?

charles
01-31-2005, 07:55 PM
hi.
i want to ask what do u think about used lens?
what things i have to give certain notice?
what could be the consequences of a bad lens?
what to note on the crystal?
what test can i make to try it? what pointers sholud i pay attention?
charles.

TenD
02-03-2005, 06:08 AM
I have purchased most of my lenses used, I think the key is to buy from a reputable source. KEH offers a 14 day return policy and I have had no problems with lenses purchased from them.

D70FAN
02-03-2005, 08:46 AM
hi.
i want to ask what do u think about used lens?
what things i have to give certain notice?
what could be the consequences of a bad lens?
what to note on the crystal?
what test can i make to try it? what pointers sholud i pay attention?
charles.

Following on TenD's endorsment... find a reputable dealer, locally or on-line and make sure there is a 100% return policy.

I have purchased only 1 lens used (Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D), but it has been perfect, and saved me half the cost of a new one.

Rhys
02-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Following on TenD's endorsment... find a reputable dealer, locally or on-line and make sure there is a 100% return policy.

I have purchased only 1 lens used (Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D), but it has been perfect, and saved me half the cost of a new one.

All my Nikon lenses have been purchased from Grays of Westminster and have been mint or mint-. I have never ever had a problem.

The worst lenses I have ever had came from some place in Hove. They were Tamrons. I've never ever seen a Tamron that was of any use (aside from as a fishing weight).

The usual caution applies - never ever buy anything from ebay.

ReF
02-05-2005, 03:51 AM
careful what you buy used from individuals, especially on Ebay and the like. many times people get soft copies (usually from low quality control 3rd party companies) and so they sell them on ebay. if you don't believe me then go on fredmiranda.com and see how many people say something like: "i got a soft lens, i'm gonna sell it" or "i got a sharp copy a sigma or tamron, the first one or two were soft." (low quality control) my photo teacher told me that the more reputable companies inspect their glass and toss them or recycle them if they aren't up standard. i suspect that companies that tend to have a lot of "soft copies" out there aren't tossing as many pieces of glass as they should.

Rhys
02-05-2005, 06:41 AM
careful what you buy used from individuals, especially on Ebay and the like. many times people get soft copies (usually from low quality control 3rd party companies) and so they sell them on ebay. if you don't believe me then go on fredmiranda.com and see how many people say something like: "i got a soft lens, i'm gonna sell it" or "i got a sharp copy a sigma or tamron, the first one or two were soft." (low quality control) my photo teacher told me that the more reputable companies inspect their glass and toss them or recycle them if they aren't up standard. i suspect that companies that tend to have a lot of "soft copies" out there aren't tossing as many pieces of glass as they should.

Quality control practically doesn't exist any more. It's too expensive. What they do is sample one item from a batch and if it's duff, might inspect more of the batch. Most likely though, quality control is you - the consumer. Look at the product recalls we see quite often. My GF's car had to be recalled because of a steering defect. Where's the quality control there? If quality control existed, it'd never have made it out of the factory. The same with all goods,.